Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Ancestry Birth Records/FreeBMD

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

PriscillaEmilywasMoonbeam

PriscillaEmilywasMoonbeam Report 6 Aug 2008 21:26

I'm wondering if anyone else who is transcribing for FreeBMD have come across this problem that I find with Ancestry.

As I have a subscription to Ancestry I have sometimes checked their birth images if I am having trouble reading the page I am working on. What I have found on several occasions is that when an entry is typewritten at the bottom of the page this entry is often listed as the last on the page when you do searches. But this handwritten entry has to be put in alphabetical order when transcribing the page. Quite often (not always) all the names below where this name is when put in alphabetical order do not show when you search for those names.

I've written to Ancestry several times about this. I was just about to start transcribing a page to-day and decided to do a search for someone at the end of the page and the same thing happened - that is they couldn't find the name but I know it is there as I have it in front of me. I first wrote to Ancestry on 24th June and that page still has not been corrected, which means nearly all the entries on the second side of the page will not show up in searches.

I've found at least half a dozen pages like this, the first one I found inadvertently, now I sometimes check when there are handwritten entries at the bottom of the page. I wonder how many more there are like this.

Chris in Sussex

Chris in Sussex Report 6 Aug 2008 21:43

Moonbeam

Yes it is a common problem with Ancestry.

'Trawling' years to find BMDs I am sometimes told the quarters for a name do not exist...But using 'creative' searching finds the missing quarters.....Luckily I have the experience, but what about those who don't?

Like you I have found the mising pages are mainly due to the additional entries added at the bottom of the page.

Corrections notified to Ancestry seem to have no effect.

Chris

KeithInFujairah

KeithInFujairah Report 7 Aug 2008 04:17

Missing quarters are a big problem, FreeBMD is far better indexed than the full index on Ancestry.

When I find one missing, I either look for names close to the one I am searching for, or take note of the page number of one I can view, then click on the year in the link at the top of the page, then quarter, then surname letter, then go to a page guess close to viewable quarter page and work back or forwards from there.