Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

'SHYE' ~ Scotland: HELP NEEDED.

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Steve

Steve Report 7 Aug 2008 17:33

Hi All :-)

I have just managed to finally get my hands on a copy of the 1851 census for my 4 times great grandparents. One was born in a place named 'Shye' - I believe to be a parish in Argyllshire - Scotland somewhere? I am at a total blank as to know where this may be? Anyone out there with a keen knowledge of Scotland dating back to the 1780s [when he was born] who may be able to help it would be most appreciated.

Cheers & Thanks in Advance ~ Steve :-)

Note: I won't be able to look at any updates for this post for several hours as I need to head of. Decided to post this message in the hope that a sharp eyed GenesR member may be able to help.

GlitterBaby

GlitterBaby Report 7 Aug 2008 18:09

Are you sure it is not Skye?

Well I am amazed. 1851 census has 23 listed as born Shye although different counties mentioned

Janet 693215

Janet 693215 Report 7 Aug 2008 18:17

There are 23 people listed on the 1851 Scottish census born in Shye. A lot of those are born on the Isle of Shye so I guess Skye it is.

Jane in the Highlands

Jane in the Highlands Report 7 Aug 2008 21:32

You might find some help at www.skye-roots.co.uk

Jane

Woody's

Woody's Report 8 Aug 2008 00:44

It is the Isle of SKYE (obviously a mis-transcription) but Skye is split into 7 different parishes. It's also in Inverness-shire not Argyll.

Information pre 1855 can be a bit sketchy for some parishes as some records didn't survive. There were many who followed Free Presbyterian and Free Church so their records aren't available online.

If you want any assistance let me know - I was brought up there and have done a lot of research on family in four of the parishes. Your relative wouldn't be a Campbell, by any chance?!!!

By the way, nice to see you Jane! Hope you are well!

Steve

Steve Report 8 Aug 2008 01:56

Back finally.

Thank you ‘Glitter,’ ‘Janet, ‘Jane’ and ‘Woody I so appreciate all your thoughts and input.

‘Skye’ or ‘Isle of Skye’ as well as ‘Invernesshire’ have all been contenders as possibilities for a while now. The 1851 census was the only missing piece to the puzzle [it had been unavailable for view – until I finally obtained a copy yesterday]. Thankfully the writing is clearer than the 1861 census where the ink is faded and a ‘J’ could have easily been an ‘S’ and so forth – letter characters from above and below are invasive so partially blot out what is a short name – giving more questions than answers. I was so relieved yesterday when no interference of any sort invaded the 1851census copy of where my Duncan Campbell was born.

Clearly it is of four characters ‘Shye’ no ‘k’ – ‘Argyll’ ['Argyll' - this is the only distinctive clue in the 1861 census]. Such a short and distinct name from any other around it as he lived the majority of his life in the ‘Argyllshire Parish of Killean and Kilchenzie’ [near ‘Argyllshire Campbeltown’]. I had a thought that as he more than likely spoke Gaelic, could it be as such – is ‘Shye’ Gaelic perhaps?

I dearly would love to solve this mystery – I am like a dog with a bone.

Further thoughts?

Cheers ~ Again ‘Thanks in Advance’: Steve Campbell.

Woody's

Woody's Report 8 Aug 2008 10:37

Steve, do you have all the rest of Duncan's certs and census information?

I am 99.9% sure there is no Shye - would you mind sending me the copy of the census image as I am intrigued!
If you don't mind doing this I'll pm my email address.

A little bit of history - the Campbells mostly originated in Argyllshire. Okay, there are also Campbells of Cawdor but the main Clan were in Argyll with the Clan seat in Inverary.
The MacLeods were once without a male heir. A deal was done whereby the MacLeod daughter married a younger son of a Campbell chief - they would live in the lap of luxury providing their children were brought up and given the name MacLeod!
Part of the deal was that a number of the Campbell clan (some kinsmen and others just ordinary folk!) would be given tenancies on Skye, on MacLeod land.
My Campbells ended up in Fasach - Gaelic translation is wasteland or bleak place - and that is what it was really! They gradually over the years transformed moorland into crofts.
Then came the Highland Clearances. Because of the "relationship" between MacLeod and Campbell, the people of the Glen were unwilling to be moved on and a fracas ensued.
The end result was that the people of Glendale became the first to have the right to own their crofts and also to pass that ownership on to their children.
There's a bit about it on here http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/info/History/TheCroftersStruggle
and the NAS have the trial papers.

Woody's

Woody's Report 8 Aug 2008 10:48

Just a PS to the above - the fact that ownership of the crofts could be passed on to the children resulted in a "voluntary" Clearance!
Because of Scot's law, the eldest son was the father's heir and the second son was the mother's heir. The rest had to get on with it! Some may have married into families where there were no sons and thereby gained a croft but the majority upped sticks and went in search of work.
Some went abroad of course but if you look at Glasgow's population growth you will see that in the 1880's thousands of Highlanders arrived in the city.
None appear to have claimed Parish Relief and mostly worked on the Railways and docks.
The immigrants of their time!

Steve

Steve Report 8 Aug 2008 11:52

Woody I have PM ed you.

Steve.

CRIPES_A_MIGHTY

CRIPES_A_MIGHTY Report 8 Aug 2008 12:21

There was a place called Glen Shye.

1580-1661.

CRIPES_A_MIGHTY

CRIPES_A_MIGHTY Report 8 Aug 2008 12:26

Certain its Gaelic

http://www.nls.uk/maps/detail.cfm?id=31

Steve

Steve Report 8 Aug 2008 12:30

Hi Paul :-)

Yes ~ I found this during my 'google' marathon today seeking any possibilities. Interesting - Unfortunately I was not able to find much information about Glen Shye - any sites out there for recommendation? I am keeping an open mind about it all.

Cheers ~ Steve.

CRIPES_A_MIGHTY

CRIPES_A_MIGHTY Report 8 Aug 2008 12:37

Maybe worth contacting the above website and see if they can point you in the right direction.
They do appear to specialize in Gaelic history..certainly maps.

Steve

Steve Report 8 Aug 2008 12:45

Our last few messages 'criss - crossed' each other - Yes - lovely map. It could very well be advantageous to email the site and see what transpires. Nothing ventured as they say :-)

Cheers ~ Steve.

CRIPES_A_MIGHTY

CRIPES_A_MIGHTY Report 8 Aug 2008 13:10

Just had a look about and have found that Glen Shye maybe somewhere in Perthshire.
It mentions Brucetown and Ayle..these are both in Perthshire.
Also I think it says Dunkeld..which is also in Perthshire. The map from the above url I believe shows the area between,and above Perth and Dundee, just before the mountains.
If this is any good for you...as It does say on the old map thats where Glen Shye is or was.

Steve

Steve Report 8 Aug 2008 13:47

Very much appreciated - Thank you. I will explore this further in the coming days. Will see what turns up - very interesting indeed..its all part of a jigsaw puzzle...its just getting the correct pieces to fit. :-)

Cheers ~ Steve Campbell.

CRIPES_A_MIGHTY

CRIPES_A_MIGHTY Report 8 Aug 2008 14:12

Thats what makes it fun! ....what makes is so interesting this family hunting.

Good luck!...hope you find what your looking for.

P.S. Im hopeing to find Scottish blood in my family. None as yet....still looking :).
By the way I live in Scotland...not to far from the area in question..lol