Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

North East

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Carole & Sue from up north

Carole & Sue from up north Report 7 Aug 2008 23:11

There is an excellent site called East Durham online. This is a really interesting site with tons of photo's of the north east. It mainly focuses on the Seaham area but there are sections where it focuses on Sunderland, Newcastle, Durham and other villages.

The amount of old photo's that are on is incredible and its being updated all the time. Its run by an incredibly nice and helpful man who is trying to expand the site and the forum.

He's helped me so much and its now in my top 5 genealogy sites. Any questions you can post onto the forum.

Anyone who has an interest or who is researching the North East should pay this site a visit (and keep revisiting!)

Carole

xxx

Chica in the sun ☼

Chica in the sun ☼ Report 7 Aug 2008 23:27

Thanks Carole, I´ll check that out as I´m from So. Shields. What´s the full web address?

Chica x

Carole & Sue from up north Report 7 Aug 2008 23:34

Hi Chica

The full address is:

www.east-durham.co.uk/

Happy viewing!

Carole x

Glen In Tinsel Knickers

Glen In Tinsel Knickers Report 8 Aug 2008 10:11

And don't forget via ukbdm.org that there are online bmd indices for the North east area and links to the local registrars and register offices.

Glen

Maureen

Maureen Report 8 Aug 2008 20:34

That site helped me in July this year on a stop over for the night before we travelled onto Scotland.We met up with some people from the site and they gave us a lot of info and some photo's of my husband's 3x great grandfather who was killed in a mining accident in 1880.When we arrived at Christchurch in Seaham they made us a cuppa and biscuits,had an interesting chat about hubby's 3x great grandfather. Show us around the Church was allowed to take photo's.Then they showed us the Memorial stone that's there in Honour of the Men and boy's who died in the accident.
They are very helpful on there. Maureen

Linda from Murton

Linda from Murton Report 9 Aug 2008 15:19

Carole and Sue from up north - can I just offer a huge thank you for bringing the east-durham web site to our attention. For someone who lives in Murton this is an outstanding site. I have already sent Dave two photographs (one of staff from Woolworths at Seaham Harbour during the war and one of Class 6 Murton Boys School 1950)

Again - a huge thank you.

Happy hunting - Linda from Murton

Carole & Sue from up north Report 9 Aug 2008 15:52

Hello Linda,

You're welcome! I'm going to annoy everyone for the next day or so and keep nudging this site up. (I've promised Dave Angus - the owner of the site that I would ) as he's really wanting to bring it to the attention of as many people as he can. He's so so helpful and will try to help people as much as he can.

The reason why I'm so passionate about this site? In the Sunderland 'East End' section, nearly every photo on there is a photo of streets where my ancestors lived. Its given me a valuable insight into their lives.

I had e-mailed him to thank him and I had mentioned that all i needed to make me a happy bunny was for a photo of Burleigh Street to appear. That same day he put onto the site a photo of that street. In 1841-1855, my greatx4 grandmother had a pub in that street, (she is the ancestor I'm obssessed with!) and in 1919 my grandmother was born in the house next door to where the pub once was.

The photo (poss dated in the 1920's) he posted just happened to show the pub...and standing outside of the house next to the pub is my great grandmother!!!

I cannot begin to tell you how much that meant to me. I cannot sing this site's praises enough so that's why I'm trying to give it as much publicity as possible!

Carole x

*****libra

*****libra Report 9 Aug 2008 17:57

Hi Carol & Sue.

Iam going to spend my Saturday night on the site.
all of the area's is of a interest to me, with my family search. thankyou.

libra.

Carole & Sue from up north Report 10 Aug 2008 18:20

n

robertpplane

robertpplane Report 11 Aug 2008 22:05

Excellent site

robertpplane

robertpplane Report 12 Aug 2008 15:06

n

JustGillian

JustGillian Report 12 Aug 2008 15:59