Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Sort of Ancestry question??

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

PaulaW

PaulaW Report 8 Aug 2008 16:31

Could not think of what board to post on so apologies if wrong one.

Have been watching the Heir Hunters in the morning and was wondering when someone dies without leaving a will how long do you have to find beneficiaries before the goverment say that the money now belongs to them. If you understand what I mean sometimes the people they are trying to find Heirs to inheritance's for are over 7 years. Also I wonder if the goverment pay interest on the money they hold until someone is found - if they are found.

Would be interested to know if anyone can help

Thanks in advance

Regards Paiula

Diddydoris

Diddydoris Report 8 Aug 2008 16:44

Found it on this site. http://www.bonavacantia.gov.uk

Q11. Is there a time limit for making a claim?
A11. In most cases the claim will become statute barred 12 years after the date that the administration of the estate is substantially completed. The Treasury Solicitor operates a discretionary policy whereby claims may be admitted up to 30 years from the date of death.

PaulaW

PaulaW Report 8 Aug 2008 17:06

Thank's for that DiddyDoris would be interesting to know about the interest - just think up to 30 odd years interest for sometimes as much as £250,000

Once again many thanks for taking the trouble to look this up for me

Regards Paula