Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Problem on entering

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Linda

Linda Report 8 Aug 2008 23:33

I'm having difficulty adding to my tree can anyone tell me a way round this please:

I have a female who had three children before being married. She then married a male who was not the father to the children and then a second marriage to another who was not the father.

I am not being allowed to enter the children to the mother and if I enter the two husbands first then I am required to enter the children to one of them.

All help gratefully received.

Thank you.

Linda

°o.OOº°‘¨Claire in Wales¨‘°ºOO.o°

°o.OOº°‘¨Claire in Wales¨‘°ºOO.o° Report 8 Aug 2008 23:48

This female need 3 partners, husband 1, husband 2 & Mr Unknown. The children should be entered as Mr Unknown's

Chica in the sun ☼

Chica in the sun ☼ Report 8 Aug 2008 23:49

Yes Linda there is a way around this, as I also had this problem.

First enter the mother´s details.

Then enter into the spouse box as though you were going to enter a husband. As you don´t know who was the father of her children just put unknown in to all the boxes where you have to give the info. Into the DOB box put for example the same year of birth as the "wife" as you must enter something here.

Now to the mother and unknown father you will be able to add a child/children with no problem. A child HAS to have a father so unknown in it´s own box will do fine.

Now to give the mother a "new" husband repeat the process and add any children of the new husband here. This can be repeated for other new husbands. The first "unknown" is classed as a spouse even if they weren´t married. As in reality they were partners in creating a child even if they were "unknown" they still existed.

When you´ve done that look at the tree and you will see that all the children will be connected up to the correct "fathers".

Hope I have explained that okay to you. For some reason tonight I can´t get my tree up at all, to check the exact wording of the boxes, but I hope you can follow okay.
Chica x

Linda

Linda Report 9 Aug 2008 00:43

Thank you Chica & Claire, simple when you know how !!!!

Linda

Linda Report 9 Aug 2008 01:06

I've entered the info. as described and in date order of the events happening but it still doesn't show correctly. It is showing from left to right as:

1st husband Mr Fa... - Mr Unknown - 2nd husband - Female. Then below the three children are shown between 1st husband and Mr Unknown.

The 3 children do have a "made up surname" on their birth certs of "Fr....." and the 1st husband's surname also started with "Fa." is that possibly the reason the children have been shown in that position.

Can this be adjusted?

Linda

Thelma

Thelma Report 9 Aug 2008 11:19

To change sex;gender/dropdown box/save changes.
The three partners will show in birth order not relationship order.
to change father;
click on child
edit tools
change parents
select parents
change parents

Linda

Linda Report 9 Aug 2008 21:58

Thank you Jim, I'm off to edit now.