Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Oversea,s deaths .

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Newby Kim

Newby Kim Report 9 Aug 2008 16:12

This is the first overseas death certificate I have ever applied for .
I ordered by phone as the death was in 1916 in Mesopotamia (now Iraq).
It cost me £11.00 as I had no reference number , but did have all the other info including regiment , army number , battalion and date of death from CWWG site . The lady I spoke to when ordering said she was not aware of any websites that had listings of oversea,s deaths .
Does any one know of one ?
PS , the certificate is very basic and is not a copy of an original death cert , apparently the info is taken from the registry book.
Were death certificates issued for casualities after WW1 ?
In this instance cause of death states ... death due to the heat ???
The real cause of death according to family was Dysentry ..
Just would really like to know.. Thanks for any advice
Kim

Newby Kim

Newby Kim Report 9 Aug 2008 16:51

Thanks Joan , if its pay per view would it work out at the same price as just ordering it over the phone with the details you have ?
I was warned that they are very brief , with very little information .
Thank you for replying
Kim
edit .. am off for tonight but will check thread tommorow morning .
Hope everyone has a lovely Saturday night .

Newby Kim

Newby Kim Report 9 Aug 2008 17:03

Works out cheaper than one cert from GRO then, will use it the next time , Joan .
Thanks for your help , was a bit dissapointed by the info given on the death cert but at least I can add it to the family records .
xxx

Janet 693215

Janet 693215 Report 9 Aug 2008 18:30

One of my relatives was killed in this country during the war and I was hoping her death certificate would confirm the cause of death I had been given. I was disappointed when it arrived and the cause was given as "due to war operations"