Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

CiD Browser Hijack

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

We're all crazy now

We're all crazy now Report 10 Aug 2008 22:21

Please could someone help me with something that is affecting my PC.

It is painfully slow and everytime I use internet explorer, various other screens pop us starting CiD and if a choose a page via google it is redirected. I have to cut and paste and even then, the pages are so slow and eventually crash. I have managed to download Mozilla, but it even seems to affect this.

I have run Norton and Ad-aware in normal and safe mode, but Norton just seems to close a short way through.

I just cannot get rid of this 'thing', I'm getting desperate!!!!!

Help

Many thanks

Jeannie

Porkie_Pie

Porkie_Pie Report 10 Aug 2008 22:30

Found this

http://www.myantispyware.com/2008/01/23/how-to-remove-cid-popups/

Roy

We're all crazy now

We're all crazy now Report 10 Aug 2008 22:48

HI Roy

Thanks for the link - I'm trying it out now

Hi Julie

Yes, my daughter also downloaded some MSN thing - I've removed that but I still have this problem.

Thanks to you both for trying to help.

Jeannie

dee from manchester

dee from manchester Report 10 Aug 2008 23:19

hi jeanie

have you tried scaning for trojans think that this could be your problem
Dee

SimonSez

SimonSez Report 10 Aug 2008 23:47

My son tells me he had this same thing on his laptop, but was unable to remove it.He did how ever reinstall the operating system XP, and this cured the problem.But doing this will wipe your hard drive of everything on it.So if you end up having to do this as a last resort, make sure you back up any wanted files first to an external drive.Hope you dont have to do this though.
There is a very helpful person on the general topics and chat boards called Errol the sheep.It could be to your advantage to post the question on there.Or contact him. Just search for Errol the Sheep

Geraldine

Geraldine Report 11 Aug 2008 00:27

I've been hijacked. I downloaded Spybot (free) and it cleared it.
Hope this helps.
Cheers Geri

We're all crazy now

We're all crazy now Report 11 Aug 2008 12:14

Thanks to everyone for your suggestions. My brother has suggested that the only way to be sure its gone is to strip the computer and reinstall the operating system but as Simon said, I have to back everything up first. I'll have a lot at Spybot when I get home (at work at present).

Thanks again

Jeannie

~*kazza*~

~*kazza*~ Report 11 Aug 2008 12:56

I to had this after the son downloaded from MSN. Unfortuanately I had to reforat the whole thing in the end. I used an external hard drive to save what I wanted.

Good side though I now have a clutter free pc. Thats running faster than ever.

Kaz

John

John Report 11 Aug 2008 14:24

Jeannie !

Before
you back anything up to disk or another harddrive, you need to get rid of this problem.

As if it is a trojan/worm virus it wil embed itself in other files that you may be saving.

Download Avast antivirus (free) install it , then when it ask's to restart your computer in dos " say Yes" this will allow it to scan your pc before the operating system loads up( it can take some time to do this).

When this is finnished download the updates for Avast, and start a manual scan.

If nothing is found, download AVG antivirus ( free ) then uninstall Avast in settings/control panel/add and remove programs/
When done Install AVG and run it ( between these two programs you should be able to rid your system of Trojans-worms-spyware-hijackers-keyloggers and a few other demons :-)

best of luck

John

OH ! and BTW dont forget to to use Microsoft Update as it will update the security in your browser software and system.

We're all crazy now

We're all crazy now Report 11 Aug 2008 18:03

HI John

Thank you very much for your instructions, I'm going to try them now.

Jeannie

John

John Report 12 Aug 2008 00:11

Hi Jeannie

Any luck yet ?

let me know if you need more help.

John

We're all crazy now

We're all crazy now Report 12 Aug 2008 12:45

Hi John

I downloaded the Avast programme last night and tried 3 times to run it in DOS but it seemed just get stuck at the same certain file.

So, I left it running all night with the computer fully loaded. It has found 3 viruses - 2 of which were trojan horse thingys. I was still running when I left for work - the problem being that everytime it found something, it stopped the scan waiting for your command.

Anyway, that's 3 viruses that Norton did not find (and I thought Norton was the ultimate!)

I will keep you posted.

Thanks for asking.

Jeannie