Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Military Cross

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Maz (the Royal One) in the East End 9256

Maz (the Royal One) in the East End 9256 Report 11 Aug 2008 22:26

I have been told by 2 different people that my gt grandfather's brother was awarded the Military Cross in 1917. When I went to TNA a couple of years ago I checked the index and couldn't find anything. I have also tried to search the London Gazette and had no luck there either. It is not listed on his Medal Index Card.

Has anyone any ideas where I could find him please? His name was Alfred John Lodge, born 1876 and he was in the West Riding Regiment.

Maz. XX

Porkie_Pie

Porkie_Pie Report 11 Aug 2008 22:36

this is his medal card of the national archives

Description Medal card of Lodge, Alfred J
Corps Regiment No Rank
West Riding Regiment 11776 Serjeant
West Riding Regiment 11776 Warrant Officer Class 2

Date 1914-1920
Catalogue reference WO 372/12
Dept Records created or inherited by the War Office, Armed Forces, Judge Advocate General, and related bodies
Series War Office: Service Medal and Award Rolls Index, First World War
Piece Langley P A - McGrath D
Image contains 1 medal card of many for this collection

Number of image files: 1

Image Reference Format and Version Part Number Size (KB) Number of Pages Price (£)
124482 / 27844 PDF 1.2 1 147 1 3.50

if he was awarded the Military Cross it would be listed their with the date that it was in the London Gazette

Roy

Porkie_Pie

Porkie_Pie Report 11 Aug 2008 22:38

it is also on ancestry, would you like a copy of the image

Roy

Maz (the Royal One) in the East End 9256 Report 11 Aug 2008 22:41

thanks Roy, I have printed out the medal card and it's not shown

Joan, that's interesting info, he most certainly wasn't an officer but a career soldier who served in the Boer War, then re-enlisted in WW1.

I will have to bite the bullet I think and query it with these rellies - don't suppose they will like it much though! They say he went to Buckingham Palace and got it from the King, even have the date.

Thank you both!

Maz. XX

Porkie_Pie

Porkie_Pie Report 11 Aug 2008 22:44

He was a Warrant Officer Class 2

Military Cross (MC). The MC was instituted in December 1914 as a reward for gallantry for officers of the rank of Captain or below, and for Warrant Officers

If he had been awarded the MC it would be on his medal card

Roy

Maz (the Royal One) in the East End 9256 Report 11 Aug 2008 22:51

Thanks Roy - I thought it should be. Not looking forward to querying it with his descendents though! Maybe I will leave it as 'a family story' lol
Maz. XX

Maz (the Royal One) in the East End 9256 Report 11 Aug 2008 23:10

Hi Joan, I will try that - I think he lived in Ware (Puckeridge) in Herts just before and after WW1 so I will check Genuki and find the nearest library. Thanks for that advice!
Maz. XX