Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Anyone local to Birmingham?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Kate

Kate Report 11 Aug 2008 23:11

I've done a bit of trawling through the phone books on Ancestry today and found some ancestors (relatively recent ones) living in Birmingham as late as the 1980s.

I know the ancestors I found are now dead but have had a bit of luck in other localities writing to the local papers but I have no idea which newspaper to write to so wondered if anyone here had any ideas? (The area I'm looking at is around Yardley.)

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 11 Aug 2008 23:16

Larger libraries often have telephone directories for the rest of the country.
You may be lucky and find some more up to date addresses.

Gwyn

Kate

Kate Report 11 Aug 2008 23:24

Oh, that is a good thought, Gwyn, thanks. I think our library has got a set of phone books upstairs so I'll try that. (Also it might just possibly have the local paper's contact details.)

I have traced the people in question far enough forward that I've found children born in the 1930s so it's not impossible that some might see a letter in the paper if I write one.

Thanks for the idea.

Kaz in a Tizz

Kaz in a Tizz Report 12 Aug 2008 01:06

Hi Kate

The Birmingham Evening Mail might be a good starting point - not sure if there is a local Yardley paper!

Good luck

Kaz :o)

Merlin38

Merlin38 Report 12 Aug 2008 08:14

Hi Kate

I grew up in Yardley, and so far as I know there is not a local paper for the district. The Birmingham Post and Mail would be your your best bet.

Here's hoping.

David

Kate

Kate Report 12 Aug 2008 20:52

Thanks very much - just been piecing together my information to try to get a letter together. (I wish thid branch hadn't moved about so much, though!)