Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Help with marriage certificates

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Karen

Karen Report 12 Aug 2008 19:41

I'm hoping someone can help me deciphering information on some marriage certificates I received.

At the bottom of the certificate where it states "this marriage was solomnized between us" next to the womans name it says "and her ..." and then something I can't read. Her father was a witness and next to his name it states "and his ..." and then again something I can't read.

Again, on the other certificate I received next to the womans name it also says "and her ..." something.

Any ideas what this might say? It's really frustrating me!

Thanks for your help.

Sue in Sunny Worthing

Sue in Sunny Worthing Report 12 Aug 2008 19:53

Did they actually sign their names?

Elisabeth

Elisabeth Report 12 Aug 2008 19:57

"Mark" i.e "X"

It was quite likely they couldn't write, so made their mark.

I have a strange one where the wife signed the certificate at her first marriage, but having been widowed and subsequently remarried, she purely made her mark. Maybe she didn't want to show up her illiterate second husband.

Elisabeth

Sue in Sunny Worthing

Sue in Sunny Worthing Report 12 Aug 2008 19:59

Thats what I was thinking Elisabeth - if they couldn't write & didn't sign their names, it could be their X and the words could be 'and her mark'

Elisabeth

Elisabeth Report 12 Aug 2008 20:01

I could see where you were heading Sue.

Sue in Sunny Worthing

Sue in Sunny Worthing Report 12 Aug 2008 20:03

Just need Karen to confirm ......

Elisabeth

Elisabeth Report 12 Aug 2008 20:09

..... It is surprising just how many I have with

... and her Mark X

Sue in Sunny Worthing

Sue in Sunny Worthing Report 12 Aug 2008 20:13

Me too .............. wish I could find some well educated (& wealthy!!) ancestors but no such luck!!

Karen

Karen Report 12 Aug 2008 20:13

It looks like it could say "mark" and that certainly makes sense. It's always easier to read something if you know what it says! Although on the certificates I have the whole thing is in the same writing and doesn't have any signatures on it.

Elisabeth

Elisabeth Report 12 Aug 2008 20:14

Is it an original certificate or a recent one from GRO?

If it is one you have purchased, it is probably just a clerk's writing, from filling in the register, so would be the same writing.

Huia

Huia Report 12 Aug 2008 20:20

I get the impression that the GRO photocopy the extract from the register onto a standard form. So it would be the writing of whoever wrote it into the register.

My reason for thinking it is a photocopy from the reg is that sometimes you can see the bottom of the writing from above your extract or the top of writing from below. If you know what I mean.

Huia.

Karen

Karen Report 12 Aug 2008 20:24

It's just a recent copy from the GRO.

Thanks for your help everyone. I knew someone would figure it all out!

Elisabeth

Elisabeth Report 12 Aug 2008 20:25

Makes a change for me to know the answer to something!!

I'm usually the one asking the questions.

Battenburg

Battenburg Report 12 Aug 2008 21:52

Every 3 months the local reg office sent their records to GRO. The handwriting would be the same because 1 person copied it

Janet 693215

Janet 693215 Report 12 Aug 2008 22:31

Elisabeth, it could be that the bride had injured her hand/arm and was unable to sign.

I'm quite lucky, I have a parish register entry from 1832 where the bride signed. As far as I am aware she hadn't had much in the way of education (ag lab background) but someone had taught her to write.