Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Adoption

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Kay

Kay Report 13 Aug 2008 14:50

Hi Guys

A friend of mine is trying to find out if she is a dopted, what's the easiest why to find out ( mother dead and father ill)

She was told at some point her sister was her mother so need to see if it was an offical adoption?

any tips welcolme!

Sam

Sam Report 13 Aug 2008 14:56

I take it that she has a copy of her birth certificate and that her mother and father (who bought her up) are the parents named on it?

Sam x

Kate

Kate Report 13 Aug 2008 15:03

I suppose, logically, can she find a birth reference for herself on Ancestry etc in the name she grew up as? If she can, and the mother's maiden name is right, that would suggest that she wasn't adopted.

Kay

Kay Report 13 Aug 2008 15:21

she only has a "short" birth cert so no parents named. He mother maiden nname is the same as hers.......

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 13 Aug 2008 18:17

She needs a copy of the full certificate.
If the parents were married, a birth index entry which shows the mother's maiden name the same as the surname, suggests that there may be some truth in the story, ...although they could be relatives of one another, eg. cousins who married.

A full certificate is the best hope of solving this. Is your friend prepared to learn what might have been a secret?

Gwyn

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 13 Aug 2008 18:44

Sorry
...forgot to say.
..If she was adopted, the full certificate would probably have Adopted in the right-hand column.
Maybe her grandparents adopted her, ...although they may have just taken her on as their child without formal adoption.
If she was adopted, there should be a file, which only she has access to. This will give information about the adoption and perhaps too about any other children born to her natural mother.

Gwyn

Eileen

Eileen Report 13 Aug 2008 23:22

It was not that unusual if the 'gran' was relatively young and still of child bearing age, for her to simply put about that she had given birth to a 'change' baby, i.e. one conceived when she was going through the change and 'did not know' she was pregnant....

..the daughter whose baby it really was would have been sent off to mind some aged cousin or some such story, so that the neighbours did not see she was pregnant.

'gran' and 'grandad' then have registered the birth as theirs, and family/daughter's honour would be preserved..........
It was a lot easier to do this years ago, when you did not have to bring proof from hospital/midwife etc. The full cert. would not help in that case, as it will only have on it the names of the parents she was brought up thinking were hers........,

If this was the case it would be pretty hard to verify it, unless father was able/willing to talk about it. I guess dna would prove that he was not the father..........

Is she not able to ask the sister - that would seem the simplest action to start with.........

good luck
Eileen
birth name

Geraldine

Geraldine Report 16 Aug 2008 09:45

Nudge so I can find again