Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

help needed on gold membership

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Gavin

Gavin Report 15 Aug 2008 00:09

I need help am now a gold member I thought I would have access to BMD certificates to view but only get listings, to find parents and brothers and sisters do I have to buy certificates or is there a site that I have'nt found yet need step by step help to find relevent sites, as Im new to all this, Kind Regards Jan

Borobabs

Borobabs Report 15 Aug 2008 00:28

GR is the worst site to have bought credits off , for any cert you have to pay for it and use the GRO site not any other ,,,you could have joined ancestry and had census and free bmd's ,,
but you can still use Free BMD nd get the GRO number to order cert ;;
the GRO site is ;;

http://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/

please dont use any other , a cert from here will cost you £7

Babs

Lorraine

Lorraine Report 15 Aug 2008 00:35

ancestry have access to bmds records

you have to pay a yearly fee but it has lots of records

you can also try freebmd which has a limited number of bmds but is free to search and a good place to start

Porkie_Pie

Porkie_Pie Report 15 Aug 2008 00:39

http://freebmd.rootsweb.com/

but not much use after 1920s

Roy

Heather

Heather Report 15 Aug 2008 09:58

Check the Tips for Newbies. And yes, to get full details of a cert you have to buy it for £7 from GRO online using the GRO ref which you can hopefully find for the event on freebmd.

Get a sub to ancestry.co.uk - take a 14 day free trial - every census from 1901-1841, all the bmd refs, army pension records, medal cards, some parish and court records - sadly the sub just went up - but even at £107 a year its a total bargain - £2 a week for 24/7 usage. Really, what could £2 buy these days.