Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Possible criminal records?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Jane

Jane Report 16 Aug 2008 11:42

Hi

I am trying to locate information regarding my grandfather ...he was bornand registered as Thomas Styles 1920 however used the surname Staveley throughout his life...

On his Army transcripts which I have acquired, he has given his address as c/o J L S Ridler, The Grove, Porltand, Dorset, which on googling I have found it to to be a possible borstal or prison. I was just wondering if there was anyway of searching records for this place as I have no information from the time of my grandfathers birth until he joined the army!

Any help greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Jane

Jane

Jane Report 16 Aug 2008 12:16

any ideas??

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 16 Aug 2008 12:36

I don't know the area, but Google search suggests it's just the name of an area of Portland.
Portland did have a prison, I believe, but perhaps you could check electoral lists for the address at the time mentioned in the documents. Other occupants there might provide a clue, eg. family members?
Lists will be in a main library or archive local to the address.

Gwyn

Jane

Jane Report 16 Aug 2008 13:01

Thanks Gwyn for getting back to me....I shall try and locate the library for that area...living in Wales is sometimes a pain with all the main places for records being held in England....

Never mind on with the search....

Thanks for your help.

Jane