Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Streets in London

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Alison

Alison Report 16 Aug 2008 18:23

In the first of this series of "Who do you think you are" on Patsy Kensit, a book was mentioned which contained all the streets of London in (presumably) Victorian times,graded according to the status of the inhabitants i.e.criminal classes,those in desperate poverty,those just getting by etc. Does anyone know the name of this book and whether it can be accessed easily? My g.g.grandfather Henry Thomas Chick ,b.1816 d.1860 was a tobacco pipe maker and lived in Reynolds Court off Moor lane or in Pipemakers Alley,both in Cripplegate and I've always assumed that this was a slum area,but I would love to be able to either confirm or refute this.

Alison

Alison Report 16 Aug 2008 18:28

hi, i dont know about the book but the name chick is in my family tree too lol...not a very popular name...
alison

Libby22

Libby22 Report 16 Aug 2008 18:35

Hi, try here.

http://booth.lse.ac.uk/cgi-bin/do.pl?sub=view_booth_and_barth&args=531000,180400,6,large,5

Alison

Alison Report 16 Aug 2008 18:36

Hi Alison (snap!)
What branch of the Chick family are you connected to?My lot came from Portsea and my earliest ones are Richard and Ann b.about 1750 and their son William who was a baker,married to Mary Paine. A lot of the Chicks seem to come from Somerset.

Alison

Alison Report 16 Aug 2008 18:40

Hi Libby9
Thanks.I'll give it a try.

Karen in the desert

Karen in the desert Report 16 Aug 2008 19:55

They're the Charles Booth maps.
You can find them, and a lot of other v interesting information, on www.victorianlondon.org

K

Alison

Alison Report 16 Aug 2008 19:58

hi...
yeh they do seem to come from somerset...i havent gone that far back tho as im busy trying to figure out between 1923-1953 at the moment...the only "chick" in my tree at the mo is "lily chick" born 7/6/01 parents are william chick and mary chick from bridgwater somerset...

Alison

Alison Report 17 Aug 2008 10:08

Thank you Alison and Karen in the desert for your messages.

Jill 2011 (aka Warrior Princess of Cilla!)

Jill 2011 (aka Warrior Princess of Cilla!) Report 17 Aug 2008 12:34

Sometimes it's referred to as Booth's Poverty Index. Fascinating stuff by the way.