Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Canadian hockey mystery

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Warwick

Warwick Report 17 Aug 2008 12:19

Hi there, I'm a bit stumped on how to start with this one, it should be easy to find but I'm finding only blanks in my searches. My father and uncle tell me we had a relative who died called "Drumey" Hewett (not sure of the spelling poss. nick name) and he was a well known Ice Hockey Commentator in Canada.

I think he might of died in the 80s maybe earlier, but with a name like that you think he would stand out a mile on records,

Any ideas?

Thanks

Warwick

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 17 Aug 2008 12:24

Have a look here (scroll a good bit down the page tillyou come to "announcers"):-

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hockey_Night_in_Canada#Announcers

They mention a Foster Hewitt and his son Bill Hewitt.

Not sure if these are who you are looking for.

Kath. x

Warwick

Warwick Report 17 Aug 2008 12:44

Thank you kath, that's really interesting, not sure if it is a connection because they have different surname spelling, I'm sending it off for family review. And this Drumey kept in contact with my Grandmother, so I think he should have been Hewett. Thanks again, Warwick

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 17 Aug 2008 12:51

Everybody in Canada, of my age, knows the name "Foster Hewitt", hockey commentator. He coined the phrase "He shoots, he scores!". I have never heard of the name "Drumey" though.

Warwick

Warwick Report 17 Aug 2008 13:21

Hi Marget, I can see 3 generations of Hewitt making a big contribution to Hockey in Canada, I will see if anyone remembers a Foster or a Bill, Thanks Warwick