Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Dressmaker? CLOSED

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Julie

Julie Report 19 Aug 2008 09:49

Someone told me that if the census gave a woman's profession as dressmaker, it actually meant that they were involved in prostitution of some sort.

Does anyone know if this is true or have I been set up?!

Julie

maryjane-sue

maryjane-sue Report 19 Aug 2008 09:53

I did read somewhere that when Singer sewing machine were first brought out they were given to prostitutes to try and give them some form of work and get them off the streets.

But I have also heard that dressmaking was a name used for their occupation.

However, I do believe there were a lot of woman who actually were dressmakers - back in those days a family would earn money any way the could and a lot of outworkers were used. In Somerset, many of the women were glovers.

Bren from Oldham

Bren from Oldham Report 19 Aug 2008 09:54

HI Julie
I have heard that as well and it may well be true ,because in the 1871 census I found one of my OH's ancestors listed as keeping a lodging house for men and her daughter was described as a dressmaker

Richard

Richard Report 19 Aug 2008 10:15

I wouldn't jump to conclusions though, many women were legitimately dressmakers, especially as stated if they came from areas where such trades thrived such as Somerset. Mine were from Yeovil and the men were glovers women dressmakers.

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 19 Aug 2008 10:26

It is recorded that prostitutes gave their occupation as Dressmaker, but it does not necessarily follow that all dressmakers were prostitutes.

There is a term for this logic, but I can't for now remember what it is.

Thelma

Thelma Report 19 Aug 2008 10:47

I am most upset with this slur!
my grandmother appears in 1901,dressmaker.
She is living with her family.
Her marriage cert. states Dressmaker.
And on my mother's birth cert.Dressmaker.
She worked,from home,as a dressmaker all her life.

Julie

Julie Report 19 Aug 2008 10:52

Peter - sounds like one of the IQ tests!!

Im sorry Jim - I thought I was being teased when I was told but heard it twice so thought I better ask.

Im sure that there are many many legitimate dressmakers out there and Im pretty sure that most of the ones that appear in my family are genuine, particularly in the Somerset area.

Thanks to everyone - I guess there may be some truth there then, but not conclusive.

Heather

Heather Report 19 Aug 2008 11:44

Lots of women were honest dressmakers - it was a way of earning a living working from home looking after the kids. There wasnt any catelogue shopping in those days and very few clothes shops, certainly none where working class women could afford to buy clothes.

I dont know why some people seem to relish the idea their ancestor was a prozzie rather than a woman struggling to make an honest living ??? There was someone on here not long ago, her ancestor was listed as a dressmaker in Kings Cross area and she was convinced this women must be a lady of the night - pmsl she was 67 in the census, I dont think even then that would have earned a living on the streets.

Nickydownsouth

Nickydownsouth Report 19 Aug 2008 13:38

I`m with you Jim..... my grandmother was a dressmaker as well, my sister even had her original Singer sewing machine with the big metal treddle, in 1901 shes down as a baby linen machinist, as were many of her sisters, living with their parents and working from home..........ladies of the night indeed!!!!

from
disgruntled from Sussex.

Arfermo

Arfermo Report 19 Aug 2008 14:33

This probably started in the same way that in modern times, a euphanism is used in the term 'model'-------

Selena in South East London

Selena in South East London Report 19 Aug 2008 15:02

I've just started reading a book called Victorian Underworld, just started the chapter on Prostitutes. From what I've read they also sometimes flitted between their real profession i.e. dressmaking to prostitution when times were hard.

Also they used the term 'gay' for prostitutes, never knew that.