Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

marriage

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Arfermo

Arfermo Report 19 Aug 2008 11:33

Does anyone have a definitive answer ?---When marrying, is it a requirement to provide documentary proof as to who you are--and how your name is spelt ? ie.---your birth certificate. I'm trying to whittle down my 'lost' aunts name in the marriage registers so as to narrow my search. She was baptised Anna--registered as Hannah, and called variously--Ann(e) and Annie, all of which are on the registers. As she disappeared from the family radar--she could have gone anywhere. Thanks---Philip.

Sam

Sam Report 19 Aug 2008 11:36

No, you don't have to provide proof.

JMW

JMW Report 19 Aug 2008 12:32

Yes you do have to provide documentary evidence as to who you are.BUT that has not always been the case. All notices of marriage are given under the 1911 Purjury Act.

Arfermo

Arfermo Report 19 Aug 2008 13:34

Thanks JMW for both responses---I wonder why 'Sam' is so adamant that he is right? ---Are you saying that --from 1911 onwards, proof was required? I understand what the purpose of 'bans'? are about (which seems so inadequate to me) whereas, a Birth certificate gives precise details, and is a 'official' document. Thank you Philip.

Sam

Sam Report 19 Aug 2008 13:50

I'm a 'she' :-)

Names of Bride and Groom
Column two is the name and surname of the bride and groom at the date of the marriage. Those last 6 words are crucial - the name used at the date of marriage is not necessarily the one on the birth certificate of the bride or groom. These days the words "Name changed by Deed Poll" or "formerly known as ................." or "otherwise" indicate that the bride or groom has changed their name since birth but that is a fairly recent phenomenon. In the past, the bride or groom were simply asked for the names they were known by. **Remember that it was not necessary to produce any proof of the use of a name**

From http://home.clara.net/dixons/Certificates/marriages.htm

Caz

Caz Report 19 Aug 2008 13:50

Hi Phillip,

I think the need to provide proof of identity is a much more recent thing than 1911. When I married in the early 80s I aged 20 had to provide my birth certificate however my husband who was 23 did not. It seems at that time that the need for proof was more to do with age than identity.

Do you have a rough idea when your aunt married and where?

Caz

Arfermo

Arfermo Report 19 Aug 2008 14:24

Thanks all----You've scuppered what I thought was a brilliant breakthrough--by me. Fact is Caz--I don't know if she married at all, let alone where. You see I can't find her death (she was born 100 yrs ago) I wonder if ?? probably not, they all died young--and so without a PRECISE first name, and with all these derivatives---it's a nightmare to link her to a partner. The area she was born and brought up in was obviously the first place to trawl--and I've made the usual enquiries--even bought 2 wrong certificates. Well back to the grindstone. thanks all (incl. Samantha). PS does anyone know of a site for electoral rolls ?

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 19 Aug 2008 14:31

When did her parents die....Did they make a Will, .She might be named there ?

Was she a witness / informant at any family events?

If the family stayed put in one area and regulsrly held marriages at a particular church, a trawl through their registers might find her marriage, ..or burial.

Gwyn

Arfermo

Arfermo Report 19 Aug 2008 15:42

Hello Gwyn---My aunts father died in 1918 --Spanish flu---aged 39. Her mother remarried in 1942--and died in 1950. They were not well off, but I suppose it's not impossible that she left a will, but I expect what there was would go to her 2nd husband. Still worth a try--especially as I'm getting desperate. There is one hint that she DID'NT use the Name Hannah, and that is the named witness to her mother's 2nd marriage, where the family name is preceded by the initial 'A'. and not 'H'. The only known family member with that initial who COULD have been of age to be such a witness, was my aunt using the name of ---Ann--Anne--Anna--Annie---if true---still not much of a move forward. Never mind eh? Thanks for the idea Gwyn.