Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Further prison records query

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Monique

Monique Report 19 Aug 2008 13:43

I know my father's uncle was in Dartmoor Prison in June 1933, but the Dartmoor Prison/Museum didn't keep their records for longer than 6 years back then. Is there any way I can find out more about why he was there, how long his sentence was, etc? Can I track this info down through court records (I don't have any information on where or when he would have been sentenced)? Are there centralised court records that I could trawl through and are they on-line, or where would I have to go to look through them please? Thank you.

Monique

Monique Report 19 Aug 2008 23:26

Nudge

Jill 2011 (aka Warrior Princess of Cilla!)

Jill 2011 (aka Warrior Princess of Cilla!) Report 19 Aug 2008 23:43

The local Record Office may have some records. It would be worth giving them a ring to ask what they have and how accessible it is.

Jill

Monique

Monique Report 19 Aug 2008 23:50

Thanks Jill. Unfortunately I have no idea as to which the 'local' Records Office would be, as I don't know where my father's uncle lived when sentenced, or where his crime was committed or trial was held. This is why I wondered about centralised records covering the whole country. Any ideas please? Thanks. Monique

Jayne

Jayne Report 20 Aug 2008 00:49

http://www.devon.gov.uk/index/democracycommunities/neighbourhoods-villages/record_office/record_offices_in_devon/guide_sources/crime/dartmoor_prison.htm#convicts

Jayne

Jayne Report 20 Aug 2008 00:59

National Archives at Kew

Assizes: English: Key for Criminal Trials, 1559-1971

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/catalogue/RdLeaflet.asp?sLeafletID=156

Jennifer

Jennifer Report 20 Aug 2008 11:23

What was his name? I have a free trial of The Times archives at the moment and if his crime was serious enough there may be some information there.

Monique

Monique Report 20 Aug 2008 13:15

Thank you to JAYNE for your valuable information.

JENNIFER, my father's uncle's name was Sydney or Sidney Roberts, and he was probably born in 1895-6. He may have been born in Bradford or the West Derby district of Liverpool, and his middle name might have been Everington/Evrington. Thank you very much for your offer to do some research - that would be great. I'm assuming that if he was sent to Dartmoor, his crime must have been quite serious. However, it might just be that his crime was committed in that locality. Thank you again.

Jennifer

Jennifer Report 20 Aug 2008 15:09

I'm sorry, the best that I could come up with was that a Mr S.N. Roberts was appointed governor of Dartmoor in 1932

Monique

Monique Report 20 Aug 2008 15:42

Thank you very much Jennifer. I will review my source of information - perhaps I've assumed Sidney was an inmate, but in actual fact he was the governor! Blimey - what a possibility! What was your source of information, just in case I can research this governor to find out what his christian names were? Thank you very much.

Jennifer

Jennifer Report 20 Aug 2008 20:12

The Times newspaper of March 1931

LindaG

LindaG Report 20 Aug 2008 20:17

I'd try contacting the Devon Record Office on 01392 384253 or [email protected]

I managed to sort 2 criminals in my tree by talking to them (admittedly in the 19th century), but they would know where to look