Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Query re father not named please

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Sue

Sue Report 21 Aug 2008 12:17

I have just received, at long last, the correct birth cert for my mother.

B. 14th Feb 1914
Salvation Army Mothers' Hospital, Clapton
Mother Beatrice Ann Lightfoot
Father NOT NAMED.

3 years of barking up the wrong tree and now I have the right certificate and am crushed no father is named.

Am I now at an end with this or is there anything I can do.

Thanks Sue

Sue

Sue Report 21 Aug 2008 12:34

I have emailed the Sally Army to ask what records they might hold.

Julie

Julie Report 21 Aug 2008 12:51

Its me again lol

This is a hard one, i have one the same but i was lucky as mine were on the 1901 and you could kind of work it out..Then my Gt gran marry him in the end..So on finding that out in the 1st place means my surname isn't what we thought it was

Julie xx

Sue

Sue Report 21 Aug 2008 12:58

Hello Julie (again),

Beatrice later married Grandpa Ostler and he adopted Mum and changed her surname to his.

I was torn in two this morning, pleased at long last I had found her and disappointed that no father named.

Beatrice's other natural daughter is still alive, aged BIL may go to see her but she is obviously not that well at her age.

I can't see him asking "by the way, did your Mum happen to mention who she slept with before she met your father?"

Sue x

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 21 Aug 2008 13:09

Could Grandpa have been the father?

Unless he adopted her after 1928 there would probably have been no formal adoption.
Without the baby's father present at the registration, he could not be named, but baby could have been known by his name.

It might be worth looking for a baptism.
I checked records of a parish near here for someone on GR. The vicar had recorded the name of every single one of the various fathers of the illegitimate children christened there.

Gwyn

Sue

Sue Report 21 Aug 2008 13:27

Oooer Gwyn,

Now that's a question I don't know the answer to.

Thanks for that, I'll write that down for further research.

Sue xx

Jill 2011 (aka Warrior Princess of Cilla!)

Jill 2011 (aka Warrior Princess of Cilla!) Report 21 Aug 2008 15:58

You could always consider researching Grandpa Ostler's tree. If he adopted your mum then why not adopt him back?

Sue

Sue Report 21 Aug 2008 18:19

lol Jill,

I have got Grandpa Ostler in a secondary tree, I must have had a premonition :-)))

Sue

Dean

Dean Report 22 Aug 2008 11:57

Hi Sue, I know exactly what you mean. I managed to get my dad's birth certficiate. He saw it for the first time in 74 years only to find only her name Mary Watson and no other info. So we don't know what age she was or the father's name.

We do know that she was fairly young and that she must have been somehow related to his adopted mother as her mother was a watson.

So i have gone down the Watson side of the tree and am now stuck after the 1901 census.

My dad was born Alexander Watson on 07.05.1934. His mother was Mary Watson. He was born in Edinburgh but i think she came from the West Lothian area.

Any clues? Its driving me absolutely nuts!!!

Any replies would be great
Wendy

Sue

Sue Report 22 Aug 2008 14:26

Wendy,

I wish I could help :-(( I am waiting for the Sally Army first then will have a rethink.

I have 'parked' her for the time being cos my head hurts from all the banging it against the wall.

Sue

Dean

Dean Report 22 Aug 2008 15:48

Thanks Sue, I guess i will have to wait till the 1911 census comes out or even 1921 !! What a thought.

Hope you get your information .

Wendy