Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

CONFUSED??????

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Rebeka

Rebeka Report 22 Aug 2008 14:01

I have just looked at my grt grt grandma on the 1901 census and I'm very confused as she has a different surname to her father, mother and siblings. The only person she has the same surname as in that household is her mums sister (auntie).

Why would this be? I have never come across this before

Thank you

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 22 Aug 2008 14:11

Please can you give her details?...It's easier to fathom then sometimes.

Gwyn

doddsy1

doddsy1 Report 22 Aug 2008 14:13

is it possible that she was illegitimate or that she was actually the daughter of her aunt.
Is she the oldest child, that would suggest that her mother had been married before and possibly widowed.
Let us know who she is and where she is in 1901 and we'll see if we can come up with an explanation

Rebeka

Rebeka Report 22 Aug 2008 14:13

Yes its Marion Lambert born 1898 in Leeds

doddsy1

doddsy1 Report 22 Aug 2008 14:16

I would say that she was the daughter of Martha Lambert.

Rebeka

Rebeka Report 22 Aug 2008 14:17

that would seem obvious but it says she is Sarahs daughter

Louise2212

Louise2212 Report 22 Aug 2008 14:20

As Seaham Lass says - it's possible she's her mother's daughter fron a previous marriage

Therefore the Aunt could be a sister of her mother's first husband

doddsy1

doddsy1 Report 22 Aug 2008 14:20

I think that as little Harold is 3 years old and Marion too then they would have been twins,

The image says
Martha Lambert 28
Marion "do" 3
Which suggests that Marion is a Lambert

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 22 Aug 2008 14:23

I think she's Martha's daughter
Linked to this....

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Marriages Dec 1890

Lambert Sarah Jane Leeds 9b 806
Reed Edwin Leeds 9b 806

Rebeka

Rebeka Report 22 Aug 2008 14:24

Is that a common error with these or could it be they were bringing her up as her own?

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 22 Aug 2008 14:37

It's just the ( probably) incorrect way it's been recorded.

Maybe
Sarah Jane married Edwin and had children. Later when her unmarried sister Martha needed a home for herself and daughter Marion, they took her into their home and perhaps Sarah looked after the young children, as she too had a child, Harold of the same age. Martha would therefore be able to work to provide for her child.

Gwyn