Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

JUD, nickname for what?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Steph

Steph Report 23 Aug 2008 11:53

Hi , I've come across an ancestor that's called Jud Sturges , any idea what Jud might be a nickname for, as I don't think that he was christened that. Thanks, Steph

Porkie_Pie

Porkie_Pie Report 23 Aug 2008 12:03

Jud is short for George

Roy

Steph

Steph Report 23 Aug 2008 12:59

Thanks for that Roy, hopefully that will lead somewhere! Steph

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 23 Aug 2008 14:05

Sorry to disagree bit I've never heard of Jud being a nickname for George. It is a name in itself, also a nickname for Jordan, Judah or Jude.

Heather

Heather Report 23 Aug 2008 14:29

No, I come from a long line of Georges and Ive never heard that one? Is it a localised thing?.

I thought immediately that it was a mistrans for Jude.

Where is the census info for him?

Porkie_Pie

Porkie_Pie Report 23 Aug 2008 14:41

My father's name is George and one of my freinds at school was named George and they both had the nickname Jud

Roy

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 23 Aug 2008 14:54

I stand corrected, Roy. Just because I'd never heard of it doesn't mean it ain't so! (I've been known to be wrong before)

Porkie_Pie

Porkie_Pie Report 23 Aug 2008 15:13

Margaret, I Have no idea if it was just local to my area, but it is still used as a nickname for George by the older generation in my part of the world (Doncaster)

just done a general search on births around 1900 and their are some with the christian name Jud although most have Jud as the middle name

Roy

Heather

Heather Report 23 Aug 2008 15:31

Must be a northern thing :) may be I should start calling OH that then.