Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Advice re Junior

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

K

K Report 23 Aug 2008 16:43

Your thoughts please on this. My 4x grandfather John Pease is listed as Jnr on this parish marriage record in 1757 (I have the image) and also on the birth record of his children.

It's the first time I have come across such a reference in records of this time and would more usually associate the term with the States. Whilst appreciating his father was also called John I wonder if anyone else had come across this in records of the time

John leased a large farm in North Yorkshire and I am completely stumped in tracing him further back.

K

K Report 23 Aug 2008 20:31

Thanks for your thoughts - It is definately Jnr - John Pease Jnr on both records. I thought it might signify that his father had money and possibly help with the search.

I am trying to find a connection to the Peases of Darlington and found mention of Snr and Jnr in research on branches of the family - although it is rather a tenuous connection

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 23 Aug 2008 20:34

It usually means that the person's father has the same name (i.e. the father would be John Snr. and the son John Jnr.)

My brother in law was always called Charles Edward Jnr. and his father Charles Edward Snr. if the names were written down. They didn't have much money!!

Kath. x

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 23 Aug 2008 23:20

Have you found any Wills?
They sometimes mention relatives living in other areas.

Gwyn

K

K Report 24 Aug 2008 09:08

Many thanks for your thoughts. I am cheered at the thought his father was still alive at the time of his marraige and hope that a visit to the Record Office next week may hold some answers. His land was leased from the Earl of Ailesbury so that may be worth following up

I have the will of John Pease Jnr and his son William, but sadly no relatives outside the immediate family were mentioned.

Many thanks again and good luck with your own researches

Kay