Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

1861 help please

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Carter

Carter Report 23 Aug 2008 23:18

hi
i am looking for a family on the 1861 census and not having much luck.
elizabeth jane day c1835 born Portswood South Stoneham Hampshire
parents joseph and mary day .
elizabeth gives birth to an illigitemate daughter in 1852 - mary jane fanny bowditch day - phew !! known as mary jane day
elizabeth marries thomas roberts (no info on him ) in 1856 in stoneham hampshire.
On the 1871 Census
Mary Jane Day was aged 17 years and was a kitchenmaid at Ampfield House Hursley Hampshire and she married William Jerram in 1877
what i am looking for is thomas and elizabeth and mary jane on the 1861 census and thomas and elizabeth on any other census
any help would be much appreciated
thanks linda

Heather

Heather Report 23 Aug 2008 23:30

If you buy the marriage cert you will have their fathers names and occupations to help trace them backwards.

Carter

Carter Report 23 Aug 2008 23:34

i have the marriage cert of thomas and elizabeth .it just gives ages as full and thomas father is left blank. it just gives their address as south stoneham hampshire. that was 1856.i have elizabeths family going right back its i cant find elizabeth with thomas and mary in 1861 or elizabeth and thomas in any other census
thanks linda

Heather

Heather Report 23 Aug 2008 23:44

No, I cant see them either! Did they have any kids apart from Mary

Carter

Carter Report 23 Aug 2008 23:49

dont know because i have never found them . mary was a housemaid in 1871 and married in 1877
thanks for looking i really do appreciate it
thanks linda

Heather

Heather Report 24 Aug 2008 12:23

Checked deaths I take it? And got Marys marriage cert?

Carter

Carter Report 25 Aug 2008 10:03

i have mary's marriage cert and it has mary's maiden name as day and father left blank . thomas roberts was her stepdad.
address on cert is same as the grooms
there are loads of thomas roberts and elizabeth roberts deaths so hard to know if any of them are mine .
this is going to be another brick wall me thinks
thanks heather for helping. sorry didnt get right back to you but got my grandaughter staying this week
love linda x