Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

MERCHANT SEAMEN WWI

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Brian

Brian Report 24 Aug 2008 08:32

I have a number of ancestors who were stewards on British registered passenger ships in the First World War. On birth and marriage certificates it says so.
The records also list them as Privates in the Army's Welch Regiment or the Royal Fusiliers. Somehow I doubt that they joined up.
It occurs to me that this may have been a rank given them in case they became Prisoners of War and would then be entitled to (rather) better treatment that detained non-combatants which merchant seamen technically were.
Has anybody any idea on this, please?
Brian Cotton

joy

joy Report 2 Sep 2008 13:59

Hi Brian,
Try googling "The Great War Forum". I've found its a great site and full of information, You have to register but its free and there's a wealth of very helpful people you can contact.
Jay

Heather

Heather Report 2 Sep 2008 14:29

How interesting Brian,never heard of that before. But as you say, possible isnt it, without a rank I suppose they could be accused of being a spy.

My Grandfather was in the merchant navy but became part of the Royal Navy during WW1.

Do come back and let us know if you find out.