Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

HELP WITH ARMY ID

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Alyson

Alyson Report 25 Aug 2008 21:54

Hi could any one tell me how to get info on a soilder i was on ancestry and found montague cole born 1895 and when i went on amy records it showed me a card saying his name 21s K.R.R.C. his rank LT and his addess in Muswell hill . Could any one find him and tell me what all this meant please ?
I am not very good at all this
Thanks Alyson

Diane

Diane Report 25 Aug 2008 22:00

He was in the King`s Royal Rifle Corps, more than likely 21st battlion or division

Alyson

Alyson Report 25 Aug 2008 22:04

Thanks Libby
Do you know if it would be possible to find any info on him or photos ?
Alyson

Diane

Diane Report 25 Aug 2008 22:10

I can,t see any service or pension record for him

Libby

was plain ann now annielaurie

was plain ann now annielaurie Report 25 Aug 2008 22:31

His record wouldn't be on Ancestry as he was an Officer. His record could well be at the National Archives, Kew. Officers records are name searchable under refs WO339 and WO374 on their online catalogue. Doesn't give full names, though, just initial and surname so hope there aren't more than 1 M Cole!

Alyson

Alyson Report 25 Aug 2008 22:35

Hi again Libby
on this record i found it has his name under the heading corps it has 21st K.R.R.C it has nothing under reg no rank has LT date of discharge has enlistment nothing under cause of discharge ,the under all that is has date of appllication ( a ) badge then date 26.3.20 (b) medal then under that it has no.of file " 14190/1/B then his address then itsays action taken but can not make out what it says also has badge no. 451766 i.v.iii then another date 15.4.20 .
Does this make any sence to you
Thanks again Alyson

Alyson

Alyson Report 25 Aug 2008 22:50

n

Diane

Diane Report 26 Aug 2008 11:14

Sorry I am not that clued up with these army records etc, Perhaps if you hava a look on National Archives there may be something on there

Libby

Lorraine

Lorraine Report 26 Aug 2008 11:45

this is on national archives

Description Medal card of Cole, Montague
Corps Regiment No Rank
21st King's Royal Rifle Corps Lieutenant

Date 1914-1920
Catalogue reference WO 372/4
Dept Records created or inherited by the War Office, Armed Forces, Judge Advocate General, and related bodies
Series War Office: Service Medal and Award Rolls Index, First World War
Piece Campbell H - Cooke W E
Image contains 1 medal card of many for this collection

was plain ann now annielaurie

was plain ann now annielaurie Report 26 Aug 2008 14:33

The 14190 reference on the card is the ref to for the medal roll - not online, but only available at the National Archives. Wouldn't really help you much anyway.