Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Proof of who you are?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Megs Dicky Island

Megs Dicky Island Report 26 Aug 2008 19:23

If you married in 1914, would you need proof of who you are?

Any help please?

Thanks

Meg

Megs Dicky Island

Megs Dicky Island Report 26 Aug 2008 20:19

n

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 26 Aug 2008 21:12

doubt it

do you have to provide proof of who you are today??

anyway, the proof would only be as good as the paper it was written on ........ and could well be falsified.

sylvia

Thistledown

Thistledown Report 26 Aug 2008 22:05

Meg, if you mean the people that are getting married, i know that the Roman Catholic Church will need a Letter of Freedom to proof that you were not married in the place of residence if living away from home at time of marraige, also Baptismal Certs of both Bride and Groom.
Betty.

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 26 Aug 2008 22:40

Betty

that's not so in the Anglican Church .... or it wasn't when we got married in 1967. I can't remember having to provide ANY ID ... although we were married in husband's church not mine.

Mind you, most people in ancient days got married in their own church in their own village, and everyone would know at least one of the couple!

Megs ................ why not google to see what the official version is?

sylvia

Megs Dicky Island

Megs Dicky Island Report 26 Aug 2008 22:49

Thanks everyone for your advice.

Jen