Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Help please - I am seeing double!

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Marion

Marion Report 26 Aug 2008 19:32

Does it occasionally happen that 2 entries for someone were made on a Census?

I've been following a Francis (Male) Staddon, born abt 1840\1841 Williton, Somerset throughout the Censuses and all seemed ok except for 1871. I knew he settled in Alverstoke, Hampshire.

There are two entries for Francis Staddon on the 1871 Census in different locations. I think they may be the same person but not sure as so far unable to find a birth - not in FreeBMD yet or Complete BMD and I've searched between 1837 & 1842.

One is listed as Male at South Barracks, Deal in Kent born abt 1840 Wilton, Somerset.
The other listed at Alverstoke, Hampshire as Head with his wife and child at home. He was born abt 1841 Williton, Somerset .

I know ours served in the Royal Marines so am wondering if this is a duplicate? Is there any other way I can check remotely?

Will be back later.

Janet 693215

Janet 693215 Report 26 Aug 2008 19:40

Could they be cousins? I know my lot named their children the same.

♫ Penny €

♫ Penny € Report 26 Aug 2008 19:43

My Dad was nearly on the 1991 twice - one at home & one at hospital!

Marion

Marion Report 26 Aug 2008 23:48

Wouldn't I have found two Francis Staddon's listed in the Censuses throughout if they were cousins though, even if they were born at the same time, in the same area?

I wondered if his wife could have just provided his details in his absence? I noticed on the Census that other husbands were listed at home as Privates etc in the Royal Marines so hard to be sure.

Was the Census was carried out more or less at the same time of day everywhere?

Marion

Marion Report 27 Aug 2008 00:19

Thanks for the interesting info ฿µdğîé

I hadn't realised occupants were left forms to complete in those days for the reason stated - that not all could read and write. I assumed that enumerators had visited and mis-spelled or mis-heard names and places.

Unless I find some info otherwise, I think it's fairly safe for me to assume that Francis Staddon abt 1840\41 of Williton (not Wilton or Wellington as transcribed!) is in fact one and the same person.

Marion

Dave the Tyke

Dave the Tyke Report 27 Aug 2008 07:31

The return for the South Barracks would have been filled out by a clerk probably using the pay office register and if your Francis was 'on leave' at the time he could easily have been enumerated twice.

Sandra

Sandra Report 27 Aug 2008 09:19

what would happen if no one in the household could write?

i've had several certificates signed with X's

Potty

Potty Report 27 Aug 2008 12:17

My grandfather is also listed twice - once at home with his parents and once on a ship - but the sheet for the ship has "Not on Board" at the top.

Jill 2011 (aka Warrior Princess of Cilla!)

Jill 2011 (aka Warrior Princess of Cilla!) Report 27 Aug 2008 17:43

I've found a couple of people listed twice. Very confusing at first ...

Jill

Marion

Marion Report 27 Aug 2008 21:55

Thanks all for your further comments.

A pity, Dave the Tyke, that the Clerk hadn't listed the relevant ones as "on leave" a bit like Potty's "Not on Board" ship listing :)

Blimey Jim, what a nighmare!

I now have several Thomas Staddons to unscramble!

Marion