Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

royal dublin fusiliers

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

smilerbabeuk

smilerbabeuk Report 26 Aug 2008 22:04

whhilst looking for my great grandfather on the grimsby absent voters list i found who i think is his brother, serving in the royal dublin fusiliers. anyone have any idea why someone from grimsby would be serving in an irish regiment and how i can get more details to make sure it is him.
thanks in advance
jo

leannecr

leannecr Report 26 Aug 2008 22:16

Hi Jo,
dont have anything to help you but whilst tracing my tree I found out that my uncle was also in the fusiliers but I can find much info on them either. If you come across anything I would be grateful if you could pass it on as I have had no luck.
Regards, Leanne

was plain ann now annielaurie

was plain ann now annielaurie Report 26 Aug 2008 22:46

It didn't always follow that men joined the local regiment, so as it's mentioned in the absent voters list, I would imagine it's right. His records might be on Ancestry, depending on his surname, although bear in mind that a large proportion of them don't survive.

Thistledown

Thistledown Report 26 Aug 2008 23:42

He may have been living in Dublin then and as Ireland was part of Great Britian until 1922 it may have been his local Army office.
Betty.

Thistledown

Thistledown Report 27 Aug 2008 04:40

If you put up names and dates maybe someone can look for him on the Irish census he may have a family in Dublin.

smilerbabeuk

smilerbabeuk Report 27 Aug 2008 18:43

his name was charles robert parkin, born 1899 in grimsby. i was looking at the 1918 absent voters list. he would be only 19, so my guess is he joined the army as soon as he was able, probably straight out of school. as far as i have found he does not have any family in ireland.
i have googled the RDF and found info on them, but no idea as to why someone from grimsby would be with them.
thanks for your help.

was plain ann now annielaurie Report 27 Aug 2008 19:28

Don't know why he'd be on the absent voters list if he was 19 - too young to vote!

was plain ann now annielaurie Report 27 Aug 2008 19:33

Also, if you read some of your replies, there's no reason why he wouldn't be in that regiment. He didn't need to live in Ireland.

Thistledown

Thistledown Report 27 Aug 2008 21:03

Hi Jo,
I know that none of these are your Charles, but found them on the Dublin 1911 census.
Parkin John 31 years Electrison born England.
PARKIN aLICE WIFE 22 years born Dublin.
Parkin Aiden son aged 1 year born Dublin.
Married 1 years 1 child born alive 1 child living.
_They were Roman Catholic.
Methodist Religion.Married 4 years 1 child born alive 1 child still living.
Living with them as boarders.
Richard Jones 50 years born Glasgow. Bottlemaker.
Thomas Connor 34 years born England. Bottle blower.
Martin Mannion. 25 years born England. Bottle Blower.
Able Lilly 26 years. born England. Blttle Blower.
All Methodist Religion e cept Thomas Connor who was R.C.

Parkin
John William Boarder aged 15 years Born Dublin City.
No other Parkins living in Dublin.
Wonder where Williams family were living?
Betty.

Sue In Yorkshire.

Sue In Yorkshire. Report 27 Aug 2008 21:18

Have you Googled just his name.
I found my great grandad had been in the Royal Fusiliers and was in India until 1859,then regiment came back to Ireland.

Sue

Carter

Carter Report 27 Aug 2008 23:13

hi my grandmas brother was in the dublin fusiliers and served in india and gallipoli and then died 1918 at hooge crater belguim. i have a couple of photos of the regiment in india if you would like them then please pm me your email address
thanks linda x