Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Could some one read a census form for me please?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

joy

joy Report 26 Aug 2008 22:37

Hi (again)

Would somebody please be kind enough to try and read something on a census.

Im looking for John Comben born approx 1887 in portsmouth. he is not in the 1901 census with his parents. (Though he is in the 1891 one)
I have found a john comben in the 1901 census but m having trouble reading the address

Class RG13 Piece 992 Folio 10 Page 12.

Also it has him as being born Portsmouth:Newport whales?

Now my john was bolrn in Portsmouth Hampshire. Is there a Portsmouth in Whales? It all adds up to be my john but i am getting confused.

\Thank you

Ericthered

Ericthered Report 26 Aug 2008 22:39

No there isn't a Portsmouth in Wales..........you have to take into account the fact the the Ancestry transcribers are not familiar with UK geography....

Ericthered

Ericthered Report 26 Aug 2008 22:43

The image shows the birthplace to be Newport Monmouthshire............although 'Portsmouth' has been squeezed in just above this...........

The address is the Sailors Welcome Coffee Tavern. 88, Queen Street

There is no birth on freebmd for Monmouthshire........I would think you'd be fairly safe to assume this lad in 1901 is the person you seek..........

Andrew

Andrew Report 26 Aug 2008 22:44

It looks like an arrow has been drawn from his name to the ditto marks squeezed in above the place name. The enumertor has written the place names one line out.I think it should be Portsmouth Hampshire

Andy

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 26 Aug 2008 22:47

If you look at the actual image, the census taker made a mistake.

He put the birthplace for the servant below John on John's line

THEN he added John's birthplace above that.

THEN he added lines to lead from the actual name to the actual birthplace.

So John was born in Hampshire, Portsmouth, and Gertrude Haskins, Barmaid, was born in Monmouthshire, Wales.

sylvia