Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Another pair of eyes please!! 1871 census on Ance

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Nicky

Nicky Report 27 Aug 2008 20:58

Hi there, My eyes are glazing over and I can't make out an entry on the 1871 census on ancestry and wondered if some kind soul could see if they can make out the entry against this name please?

I am looking at Ruth Lowsley born 1805 in Blewbury, Berkshire and she is living at 7 Eldon Road, Reading. There is an entry for Humphrey Down aged 27 in the household and I am trying to make out what his relationship is to head of household and the notes made in the occupation section. The typed transcription before you go into the census image says 'companion', but I really don't think that's what it says. Many thanks. Nicky

Lynn

Lynn Report 27 Aug 2008 21:09

Hi Nicky, I think that it says "locum tenens" which would tie in with his occupation of MD. Possibly Dr. Down was boarding with Ruth.

Cheers!

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 27 Aug 2008 21:10

I don't actually think it gives a relationship to the head of household.

I think it says he is a Locum (?). It could be Doctor but I'm not sure. In the occupation column I think it gives his qualifications and letters before his name although I can't make them out, but it also says again he is a Locum (?something) for O. Lowsely Esq.

Sorry - I know this isn't much help.

I think his name is actually Humphrey Donovan, not Down.

Kath. x

Nicky

Nicky Report 27 Aug 2008 21:14

Thanks to you both for that - it is helpful and yes, I agree Kathleen, I thought it read Donovan, not Down. Nicky

KeithInFujairah

KeithInFujairah Report 27 Aug 2008 21:14

Occupation is something along the lines of M.D.A. (something), University of Ireland.L.M.M.- S. England, acting as locum tenens for O Lovely? Esq.

Caroline

Caroline Report 27 Aug 2008 21:15

Nicky,

The census record looks like Humphrey Donovan.

M.D.A something something University of Ireland something something England acting as something Lowsley Esq.

Caroline

Lynn

Lynn Report 27 Aug 2008 21:16

Looking closer, I think that the name is Donovan, not Down. He got his MD at a University in Ireland. I agree with Kathleen - he was acting as locum for O? Lowsley, Esq. So, he was only living with Ruth on a temporary basis. So, who was the Dr. Lowsley he was replacing????

Lynn

Nicky

Nicky Report 27 Aug 2008 21:19

Yes, this all makes sense, thanks to all!! Going through some notes and seen that one of Ruth Lowsley's sons Oded was a surgeon, so if he was absent for some reason or another, Humphrey was standing in for him. Well, I will just have to find out where Oded was in 1871. Nicky

Nicky

Nicky Report 27 Aug 2008 21:23

Well, Oded was obviously having a little holiday, as I have found him visiting his mother's family the Robinsons at Blewbury Farm in Berkshire in 1871 and hence the stand-in doctor! Thanks to all of you for your help. Nicky

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 27 Aug 2008 21:26

Ruth is the first name given but it says mother (Mother to whom?)
The doctor's name, I believe, is Humphrey J. Donovan. His relationship os "locum tenens". (Doctor in residence, I believe)
Occupation says M.D.A. (something something) University Ireland. (Something something) England. Acting as (something something) for O. Lowsley Esq.