Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Help with an enumeration district

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Caroline

Caroline Report 27 Aug 2008 22:12

Does anyone know on Ancestry how I can find Broad Carr Lane / Broadcarr Lane, Mossley on the 1851 census? I am interested in who lived on this road at this time. I know I can go through each enumeration district but I was wondering if anyone knew an easier way.

Thank you

Caroline

mgnv

mgnv Report 28 Aug 2008 10:09

It does help to first read the enumerator's description of what he's enumerating. So suppose you know it's in the Hartshead sub-registration district of Ashton u Lyne (I don't know this), from Ancestry's "search the UK census" page, select 1851 ENG and scroll down the page and select Lancs - Ashton u L - Hartshead, and you can read the enumerator's description for each of the 20 or so EDs there. Hopefully, that'll narrow it down to a couple of EDs, which you can access from that same page, and you can go thru these reading every third page until you get a hit.