Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

From Death to Graveyard

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

sox1

sox1 Report 27 Aug 2008 22:49

Could anyone advise me, as to how, I can find the graveyard that my Grandma, was buried in.
I have the death certificate, but would like to know which graveyard she was buried in.
Glasgow was where she died.
Margaret McLuskey, 1939.
Has anyone any thoughts?
Wendy sox1

John

John Report 28 Aug 2008 08:20

Most major cities have several municipal graveyards and depending on the home address or sometimes place of death ie a hospital they usually fall into a catchment area for one particular cemetery.
Religion can also play a big part and if she wanted to be buried with her family.
I am no expert but my recent experience searching in Liverpool was quite easy. You will find a list of cemeteries on the local council website. I emailed the Central Library Records Office with the details and asked for advice. I was lucky that they had most records on a data base. I got an email back with details of SEVEN relatives in 2 graves. They gave me the section (ie 4c) and the grave number (ie 228)
I then googled the cemetery name for a map and a local history site had one. You may find the section and grave numbers etched on the back of the headstones... this is really helpfull.
Remember that if your Grandma dies alone she may not have a headstone or may be in a family grave but may not be listed on the grave stone. Are you sure she was buried?
A few phone calls or emails should get you started. Here is the link for Glasgow...
http://www.glasgow.gov.uk/en/Residents/BirthDeathMarriage_Citizenship/Death/Burialgrounds/

Good luck :)

John

John Report 28 Aug 2008 08:26

That site also has a Genealogy Centre... I am sure they will point you in the right direction

Muriel

Muriel Report 19 Jan 2009 15:38

Wendy,

Glasgow City Council's Environmental Services should be able to assist. From her last known address and the date of death they should be able to give your references for the cemetery, the section, and also the exact lair number. Not all graves are marked with a headstone, so ask for a map of the cemetery layout and an indication of where the lair is. Glasgow cemeteries generally have thousands of lairs. You will also find the guys who work in the cemeteries very helpful. Good luck with your search.

Muriel

Jeeberella

Jeeberella Report 19 Jan 2009 16:29

this could just be a one off but....

when my boyfriends aunty was looking for her dad's dad's grave, she managed to find the cemetery (not sure how) and gave them a call and asked if they could give her a rough idea where the grave was, not onlty did they do that but they also gave her a grave number and even put a marker on so they'd be able to find it.

It was the first time he'd been to see his fathers grave as his father died when he was in the war and never knew where he was buried, so it was very emotional all round.

Madmeg

Madmeg Report 20 Jan 2009 00:54

Yep, contact the cemetery, I have found them most helpful, and in fact graves can yield a wealth of information that you aren't aware of.

In my case, who was this baby Jim Stokes buried with a family called Wood? Turns out that his aunt married Isaac Wood, and there was space in their grave. As a result of knowing that his aunt married Isaac Wood, I found four living relatives and we are all now in touch.

Margaret

Thistledown

Thistledown Report 20 Jan 2009 02:17

Hi Gaille, do you have the web site addy for Manchester please as i have a rellie and have just found out that she died in Manchester.
Being looking for years.
Bless,
Betty.

Caz

Caz Report 20 Jan 2009 13:12

Hi,

Lambeth cemetery were also brilliant in this respect. I emailed them on the offchance they might be able to help me find a grave that had eluded me for forty years. They not only sent me the area and plot number and a map but also said if I called them before visiting they would take me to the correct place themselves. I couldn't praise them enough.

Caz

Kate

Kate Report 20 Jan 2009 13:19

Good thought there, Margaret. Where my gran's parents are buried, they have a headstone (this is a churchyard, I admit) with their names on, but there's this stone pot underneath and all it says on it is "Allen Edward, 11 days".

So I searched the birth index from when they married to when great-grandma died - no Allen Edward with their surname. Only when I came to trace the children of their children did I find that Allen Edward was the son of my gran's brother!

And in another case, I found my 4xgreat grandma buried in a churchyard. I knew she had a daughter named Elizabeth and that 4xgreat grandad died in another area so wasn't likely to be buried with his wife. When I found that stone, I read "Margery Hurst" and underneath, "and her daughter Elizabeth Houghton".

Sometimes it is amazing what you can piece together in a churchyard!

Joy

Joy Report 20 Jan 2009 13:30

You can contact the bereavement services department at the local council. Many councils have them computerised since a certain date.

Happy hunting.