Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Ancestry Worldwide subscription

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Carole

Carole Report 28 Aug 2008 07:09

Hi everyone

Apart from Genes Reunited, I also use Ancestry for most of my family research.

I also have a lot of Scottish ancestry and I use Scotlands People, but I am always having to buy more credits for Scotlands People.

Does anyone know whether, if I were to subscribe to Ancestry Worldwide, would I get the same information as I do on Scotlands People i.e. being able to view and print off Parish Records and BM& D Certificates ?

Also generally how good is Ancestry Worldwide ? Would it cover France and Ireland where I also have ancestry ?

Thanks anyone who can advise.

Caz.

Janet 693215

Janet 693215 Report 28 Aug 2008 09:41

I've just looked on ancestry and they only have the scots census. They don't have any french records. I can't say for Irish records but I don't think you'll find much online. There is a thread on this board about Irish research.
I'm in a similar situation to you with both Scots and French ancestors. Every now and then I splash out another £6 on Scotlands people. As for the French side, have you any idea as to where yours hail from? The BMD's are held by the Mayors office. Theres a guide to French Genealogy at About.com. You could also see if anyone is researching yours on Geneanet.

Richard in Perth

Richard in Perth Report 28 Aug 2008 14:06

Whatever Scottish records are on Ancestry (mainly census transcriptions) are covered by the UK membership anyway - you won't get any more with the world sub.

Carole

Carole Report 28 Aug 2008 17:53

Thanks very much Richard and Janet for your replies.

I haven't tried About.com yet for the French side. I know where thy come from and have made contact with the local area. I'll try Geneanet too.

I think I'll stick to Ancestry basic and Scotlands People.

Regards Carole.

Janet 693215

Janet 693215 Report 28 Aug 2008 19:07

I was really lucky with my french lot.I only knew that my ggrandfather was from France. While looking for my Aunts marriage I found a marriage in Leicester for a Louise Tocqueville. I had no idea who she was but googled her married name and found a death notice for her in the US. It gave me the names of all her children. I managed to find her daughters address. Her daughter wrote back to me. It turned out that Louise was the daughter of my grandfathers brother whom I knew nothing about. My newly found 2nd cousin put me in touch with her cousin in France who then sent me a copy of my ggrandfathers marriage. Louise was brought up in France and by chance had met an Englishman and married over here. If it wasn't for her wanderlust I would never have known where ggrandad came from.

ann

ann Report 28 Aug 2008 19:45

I have the world sub and i will not renew it next year.Dont think its worth it. Annie

alviegal

alviegal Report 28 Aug 2008 21:18

I also have the world sub and find it's mainly census records from US and Canada so if you have no rellies over there it's pretty pointless.

Liz

Carole

Carole Report 31 Aug 2008 16:11

Thanks everyone for your helpful replies on this one.
Caz.