Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Is Mary ever short for Margaret?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

RStar

RStar Report 28 Aug 2008 15:31

My heads spinning with one Welsh family.

Mistycat

Mistycat Report 28 Aug 2008 15:36

My mum had two friend's both called Margaret...

One I called Auntie Mary...the other I called Auntie Peggy...so maybe yes...might just have been in our family though!!

Misty

PS...not Welsh....

Ericthered

Ericthered Report 28 Aug 2008 15:38

Not in my experience.............

RStar

RStar Report 28 Aug 2008 15:54

Thankyou Mistycat.

RStar

RStar Report 28 Aug 2008 16:55

Annie, thats a possible. She doesnt seem to have a middle name, BUT of course, she may have had one. Thankyou.

mgnv

mgnv Report 28 Aug 2008 20:48

If Margaret is abbreviated as Margt with a small t in a sort of superscript position, there's a 50-50 chance Ancestry will mistranscribe it as Mary.

MaryfromItaly

MaryfromItaly Report 28 Aug 2008 22:21

Mary is *not* a standard abbreviation for Margaret, but families come up with all sorts of weird nicknames.

Eileen

Eileen Report 29 Aug 2008 00:04

Margaret is usually pet named to Meg, Meggie, Peg and Peggy.........also Daisy as for the flower Marguerite which looks like a daisy............
In Scotland there are a lot of Helen-Marys, and they usually end up as Molly, although Molly seems to occur as a name in its own right now...........

Nickydownsouth

Nickydownsouth Report 29 Aug 2008 00:08

My grandmothers oldest sister was Margaret on her birth cert in 1869, later called Mary, and in her latter years Polly.

Nicky