Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

SEARCHING LOCAL NEWS PAPERS?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Robin

Robin Report 28 Aug 2008 16:19

can anyone help me search or find how to search a local newspaper from the 40's is this possiblE?

Looking for a local story which we had but has been lost

Hotpants

Hotpants Report 28 Aug 2008 17:00

hi, if your local library is quite big they maybe have archived papers on microfiche, go in and ask. i do know that some in scotland do this, but you may be in england, wales, but try anyway. good hunting.

*ღ*Dee in Bexleyheath*ღ*

*ღ*Dee in Bexleyheath*ღ* Report 28 Aug 2008 17:23

Yes, the main library of the area in which you are looking keep backdated copies of local papers on microfiche.

I have twice written to main libraries in London for inquest reports as published in local papers and both times they have sent me photocopies. One for a small charge, and one free.

Some libraries are reluctant to search for you and you may have to visit in person.

Google the main branch of the library in the area you want, and see what they say on their website. There will usually be an email address for any enquiries.

Dee
x

Robin

Robin Report 28 Aug 2008 20:58

thanx guys the problem i have is that the library in question is 250 miles away from me but i will email them

thanx for ya help hope i can find something

Hotpants

Hotpants Report 28 Aug 2008 22:14

hello again, why not try online, search for archived papers and you can access the times, or www.PressDisplay.com or www.greatexperiencedays.co.uk maybe you can find what you are looking for from your own armchair. good luck