Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Historical legal minimum ages for marriage?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Monique

Monique Report 29 Aug 2008 14:05

Hi. Although a woman (or man) can't get married in England unless they are 16, does anyone know what the previous legal age restrictions were during the 1800s and 1900s? I can't imagine they have changed that often. Thank you. Monique

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 29 Aug 2008 14:15

Yes they were 12 for girls and 14 for boys with parental consent think this went right up to the 1920,s when it was changed to 16

Monique

Monique Report 29 Aug 2008 14:26

Hi Shirley, thank you so much for that information.

mgnv

mgnv Report 30 Aug 2008 12:39

Mick in the Sticks is correct - apart from the exclusion of Scotland from the UK - a blacksmith or anyone at all (or even no one) could act as a witness and conduct a marriage ceremony until the late 1920s. The other main difference in ways of legally contracting a marriage (by cohabitation and repute, usually called a common law marriage in England, but it usually implies no legal marriage there) was recently abolished in 2006.