Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

old Electrol registers

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Paul

Paul Report 29 Aug 2008 16:03

can you only access these in the town where they belong or are stored anywhere else. i live in kent and want to look at some in boston lincolnshire from the 1940's
any advice welcome
thanks
paul

Kay????

Kay???? Report 29 Aug 2008 16:19

Paul,
Any for that time maybe at Boston Library in hardback,,,,,,,

,otherwise Lincolnshire Archives Rumbold Street house electral books dating back to then,,
either way they will need to be looked at in person,,,

Paul

Paul Report 29 Aug 2008 16:48

thanks kay
i thought that perhaps there would be an easier way looks like i.ll have to go to boston when i can afford it!

Maisy

Maisy Report 29 Aug 2008 20:42

Paul

The British Library also hold old Electoral Registers. It's best to phone and order beforehand as they're sometimes stored off-site.

Maisy

Paul

Paul Report 29 Aug 2008 20:52

thanks rallyreg i had a look but only go back as far as 1992

thanks maisy i'll give it a try

paul

Janet 693215

Janet 693215 Report 29 Aug 2008 21:17

Don't forget there are no registers for the war years.

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 30 Aug 2008 12:37

Registers are searched by address.
Some main libraries local to that area may hold copies and be willing to check a specific year.
A library in Surrey did this within a day, when I sent an e mail.
Other places vary as to whether they are able / willing to help. There may possibly be a small cost, although I wasn't charged for information.

Gwyn

Glen In Tinsel Knickers

Glen In Tinsel Knickers Report 30 Aug 2008 14:46

Best bet is to approach the library first, they will be far cheaper than the archives.

Glen

Kay????

Kay???? Report 30 Aug 2008 15:21

Lincoln Archives Electorals are stored and need 1 days notice to view,plus you will need a reader ticket to enter the search room to look at them....

LA require ID,,,,,

RutlandBelle

RutlandBelle Report 30 Aug 2008 15:54

I agree with Glen, approach the library first. If you e-mail a request they will give you a price. I have had 2 electoral roll searches, one cost nothing as they found it within half hour, the other cost £10 but well worth it.

Jennifer

Glen In Tinsel Knickers

Glen In Tinsel Knickers Report 30 Aug 2008 16:46

I don't know about Boston but Lincoln central Reference library did a Lincoln search for me (covering one address for nine years) and charged me 80 pence for finding and posting the results to me.

Thumbs up for the Lincoln Library for newspaper searches too, they only charge for the photocopies of articles plus postage, not for the search time.

Glen

Paul

Paul Report 30 Aug 2008 16:53

thanks everyone for your help
paul