Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Hospital record for grandfather 1990-1991.

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Benjamin

Benjamin Report 30 Aug 2008 18:02

Hi

My grandfather was ill in hospital in Guys in London for a while before he died. He died at home in Ockendon, Essex but was also an in patient in Guys for a while. I wonder what are the chances that I can access his patients records there if I can prove relationships as I have all his details such as birth and marriage dates etc?

Thanks

Ben

Penny

Penny Report 30 Aug 2008 18:16

Very little chance until 100 years have passed, normally.

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 30 Aug 2008 18:18

You would have to apply to the relevant Health Authority to see if they will be prepared to give you access to these records but I very much doubt that they will unless you have a very good reason for wanting them.

Kath. x

Benjamin

Benjamin Report 30 Aug 2008 18:31

Hi

Thanks. I was hoping if they allowed any leeway if you could prove a relationship but this probably isnt the case if there is a 100 year rule. I was wanting to know exactly how long and what dates he was a patient there as he had lung cancer.

Ben

Tetley

Tetley Report 30 Aug 2008 22:56

Hi Ben

My grandfather died 1954. I applyed for his Medical Records at Hampshire Records Office explained how I was related and why I wanted them. They had to get permission off the Local Health Aurthority to release them. This took about three weeks. I have copies of all his records. Also his burial and who performed the service etc. They were most helpful.

Go for it they can only say no.

Regards
Tetley

Benjamin

Benjamin Report 31 Aug 2008 12:51

Hi

Yes I will give that a go.

I am not too bothered about grandad William's actual health and illness records as such. I am very interested though in the dates of his admission and discharge from Guys more than anything.

I wonder if if just asked for his admission dates, if they would just give me them rather than his actual records. He died in January 1992 so I think he was in there in 1990 or 1991.

Ben