Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Just a little mystery

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Berniethatwas

Berniethatwas Report 31 Aug 2008 06:26

Hi all,
Gladys Mary Ann Taylor was born in Churchstow near Kingsbridge, Devon in 1892.
1915 (4Q) a Gladys M A Taylor married Frederick J Courtenay in Okehampton district. There are no children born with that combination of surnames.
CWGC has private Frederick John Courtenay died Nov 1917 - as son of George & Edith etc. No mention of a wife. No sign of a death of a Gladys Courtenay either.(I only had a 'daddy' look!)
Any ideas as to what went on?
Bernie

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link!

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link! Report 31 Aug 2008 07:30

There are other Frederick J Courtenays.

Perhaps she married this one:

Births Jun 1885
Courtenay Frederick John S. Stoneham 2c 47

and not this one mentioned on CWGC:

Births Mar 1895
Courtenay Frederick John Bridgwater 5c 354

Rose

Kay????

Kay???? Report 31 Aug 2008 08:27

1917,,J/Sept.

2b--593,

Portsmouth.

Courtenay-Vera L mmn Taylor,

A/June,

2b--689,

Portsmouth.

Courtenay,Margaret--mmn-Taylor.

?

Berniethatwas

Berniethatwas Report 31 Aug 2008 08:29

Hi Rose,
Such a common name eh! Jumping to conclusions but I imagined that it would have been a 5a or 5b registration. She was the only child of a farmer so I don't know if she would have gone far from home.
Thanks - now a further lot of hunting. Grins..
Ta,
Bernie
a,

Kay????

Kay???? Report 31 Aug 2008 08:33

It depends what the husband did as a living as to where they may have ended up,,,,was he something to do with the sea,?

Berniethatwas

Berniethatwas Report 31 Aug 2008 10:01

Thanks both,
How did I not find two births! 'Daddy' looks .
I don't know anything about her husband. Seafarers from Plymouth are most certainly in the other side of the family. I guess I should consider that her father only leased the land rather than owning it and she not being an heiress. Just have to wait till I win some money as she is quite distant from me.
Ta muchly - and a goodnight from him.
Bernie