Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

How do I?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Maisy

Maisy Report 31 Aug 2008 09:26

I know if you find a baptism on the IGI, it's also possible to see if any siblings were baptised too. Only thing is, I've forgotten how to do it.

Can somebody explain please?

Thanks
Maisy

Maisy

Maisy Report 31 Aug 2008 09:42

Rachel

Thanks for that. I've just checked it to make sure I know what I'm doing and it's worked. I knew it could be done but just couldn't remember how.

Thanks again for your help.

Maisy

Sprack

Sprack Report 31 Aug 2008 09:45

Alot of baptisms dont have the mothers surname so leave that box empty unless its on the original one you found.

Jenny

Dave the Tyke

Dave the Tyke Report 31 Aug 2008 09:52

On the IGI page
1) Find a child that you know is right.
2) Click on batch number - bottom left
3) Enter fathers name only - top right

The search results give all the children baptised in the same church with a father of the same name.
WARNING
There is often more than one parent with the same name using the same church - look closely at the dates.
Also two children with the same name and same father often means that one died and the name was carried on. This is particularly true for first-born children.
NOTE also
A move by the parents would have meant a new church

good hunting

Dave

Maisy

Maisy Report 31 Aug 2008 10:00

Dave

That's the way I remember it but the other way also works so I've got a choice now! Thanks.

Jenny

Thanks for your tip too. Hopefully I'll be able to find what I'm looking for now.

Maisy

mgnv

mgnv Report 31 Aug 2008 16:49

Regarding Dave's solution, Dave mentions that "A move by the parents would have meant a new church", but batch #s are not only restricting to one church, but also to one block of time. If you're looking in say, Haltwhistle in rural Northumberland, you might be quite comfortable with the block 1695-1875 covered by one batch number, but in St Leonards Shoreditch, a 30 year span would mean 5 or 6 different batch #s.

Dave the Tyke

Dave the Tyke Report 31 Aug 2008 21:55

Yes mgnv is right that is one of the reasons why I said look closely at the dates.
Rachael's method is fine if you have the mother's name, but ancestry won't let you use just the father's name unless you enter the batch number.
Hugh Wallis's site is a better way of narrowing down a search in the first instance.
http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~hughwallis/IGIBatchNumbers.htm

Dave