Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Fathers surname only on Birth Certificate...

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

ForeverMystified

ForeverMystified Report 1 Sep 2008 09:41

I am in contact with a lady in Australia with whom I have a tenious link on one of my lines, my 3 x grtgrandmothers sisters daughter is her link. However she sent for birth cert of one of the children and under fathers name is just a surname the same surname as the mothers maiden name (you all with me on this). Would she have been able to register birth with this info.
Hope you can follow my explanation if not will try again.
Thank you
Frances

Janet 693215

Janet 693215 Report 1 Sep 2008 09:52

It sounds to me as if the husband wouldn't allow her to use his name on the registration. Sounds like he wasn't the father.

Janet 693215

Janet 693215 Report 1 Sep 2008 09:56

I'm assuming that the child was born in wedlock. If not then the father was not present at the registration so could not give his authority for his name to be used.

ForeverMystified

ForeverMystified Report 1 Sep 2008 09:58

Hi Janet

Thanks for your reply, I dont think the mother was married her birth surname was Rose and under fathers name it just said Rose. Sorry not explained very well.
Frances

Janet 693215

Janet 693215 Report 1 Sep 2008 11:00

Is this a UK birth? An unmarried woman can not put the fathers name on the registration unless he is present or the registrar has a letter from the father authorising it.

If it is in the UK you could look for bastardy records. I haven't had any dealings with these yet.

ForeverMystified

ForeverMystified Report 1 Sep 2008 12:01

Hi Janet

Sorry taken awhile to answer had to nip to shops. Yes it is a UK birth, will give bastardy records a look.
Thanks for your input it's appreciated.
Frances