Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

How do you find out about rich or landowning peopl

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Sali

Sali Report 2 Sep 2008 09:23

I am wondering if anyone has any idea to search certain rich/landowning people in a town in Wales? I am trying to find out about a man living in Machyncllyth and was father to my grandmother. However he didnt get married to her mum as his family threatened he'd be cut of without a penny. I don't have any idea who he was but after he moved to America.
Any help would be appreciated.

Heather

Heather Report 2 Sep 2008 10:36

Well I assume you must have his name, in which case its just like searching for anyone else on the census and through certificates. If he were rich and someone had an illegitimate daughter by him then there should be some sort of maintenance order made for her provision.

Just re-read "I dont have any idea who he was" - without a name I think you have very little chance of finding him then. You can see if the records office hold any sort of bastardy/maintenance orders for your great gran?

Do remember also that many an illegitimate child was supposedly born to a high ranking person who then deserted the girl - Im afraid its a bit of a legend in a lot of families basically because it adds sympathy and a bit of cudos for the pregnant girl. Not saying thats this case, but it is very common.

Much more acceptable to say you were done wrong by the son at the "big house" than to say the child is the result of a roll in the hay with a married ag lab.

Sali

Sali Report 2 Sep 2008 20:47

Hi
Yes thanks I will do that-thanks for the help. Would you be able to find out from wills from that area and then work it from there. I assume that his family would have been rich for a will so therefore left money/belongings for each other as Machyncllyth isnt as massive place. Then look at immigration records or deaths with people from that area.
Sali

Heather

Heather Report 2 Sep 2008 21:15

Well, yes you can look at wills but its going to be difficult doing that without a name. Even shopkeepers and ag labs left wills.

SOME Wills are on National archives documents on line.