Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Which software to choose for my requirements?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Karen

Karen Report 2 Sep 2008 15:00

Afternoon all, I know that there have been numerous topics about suitable software in the past, but I am really stuck on what to upgrade to, and after some suggestions of what people currently use / would recommend.
I am using generations at the moment (ancient I know!), which I like the way it looks, but lacks in features.
I am looking for the following features within a package. (Money not an object for the right thing)
1. Multi generation family view - would like to see parents and children of subject couple on the main screen.
2. Would like to be able to attach photos to people on their contact card and have in view all the time.
3. Would like the ancestry line of the source person (ie me) to be visual (generations highlight direct ancestry line in bold)
4. Would like to be able to attach scanned documents / photos etc to events as well as just the person (multiple docs - i.e death certificate / any related docs - newspaper articles / hospital reports etc)
5. The ability to record census information and attribute to more than one person so that multiple entry is not required.

There are more features that I am looking for, but those are the main ones.
Might have to take up computer programming and design my own! lol.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Karen

maryjane-sue

maryjane-sue Report 2 Sep 2008 15:35

I would recommend Legacy Delux - I think it does all the things... and more

Karen

Karen Report 2 Sep 2008 15:37

Hi MaryJane-Sue,
I will check it out.
I know its a really girlie thing, but how the program actually looks is really important for me too.

Ron

Ron Report 2 Sep 2008 19:35

Most programs will do the tasks that you ask above.

If you go onto Google and type in

genealogy programs compare

you will gets lots of different comparison tables that tell you what the various programs will and won't do.

Ron
www.genealogyprinters.com

Ron

Ron Report 2 Sep 2008 19:40

Try the various free downloads, most programs have free "downloadable" trial version.

Family Tree Maker
Genbox
Family Historian
Legacy
P.A.F

The list is almost endless. Most people will say that the program they use is the best so it's not a lot of good asking really, it's a very personal preference thing.

Ron
www.genealogyprinters.com

Karen

Karen Report 3 Sep 2008 08:38

Morning all,
Thanks for the responses.
I am currently using generations too, and like the way that it looks, but know that it could do so much more!! I too think some of the packages look a little 'basic' in their view and are hard to navigate around.
The more I think about it, the more I am considering designing my own! Luckily know a few people that would have the brain power that could help me! :)
Answers on a postcard for suggestions of essentials to include! lol

Karen