Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Elaine

Elaine Report 2 Sep 2008 18:21

I've just found a birth cert. from 1799 registered in the Parish of Kilconquhar, Fife, Scotland. The father, Angus Kerr, is stated as being a Smith in the Methel.

Smith, probably means blacksmith, but what does "Methel" mean.

I really hope someone can be of some assistance.

Elaine

Christina(Lancashire)

Christina(Lancashire) Report 2 Sep 2008 18:43

Metal?

Elaine

Elaine Report 2 Sep 2008 18:51

No Christina, it definately says "Methel". If only the more recent documents were as legible as this one, I would be laughing.

Elaine

Christina(Lancashire)

Christina(Lancashire) Report 2 Sep 2008 18:54

This is from Wikipedia...is it a place?

Earl of Wemyss (pronounced "Weemz") and Earl of March are two titles in the Peerage of Scotland, created in 1633 and 1697 respectively, that have been held by a joint holder since 1826. The Scottish Wemyss family had possessed the lands of Wemyss in Fife since the 12th century. In 1625 John Wemyss was created a Baronet, of Wemyss in the County of Fife, in the Baronetage of Nova Scotia. In 1628 he was raised to the Peerage of Scotland as Lord Wemyss of Elcho, and in 1633 he was further honoured when he was made Lord Elcho and METHEL and Earl of Wemyss, also in the Peerage of Scotland.

♥Betty Boo from Dundee♥

♥Betty Boo from Dundee♥ Report 2 Sep 2008 18:58

There is a place called Methel in Fife

Betty

Elaine

Elaine Report 2 Sep 2008 19:20

Thanks girls for all your help. You have saved me from a night without any sleep.

I thought that it could have been a part of the Breadalbane Fencibles in Earlsferry as he was there a year prior to Methel.

Thanks again.

Elaine

Alistair

Alistair Report 2 Sep 2008 19:49

It's now called Methil.

Alistair

Heather

Heather Report 2 Sep 2008 20:18

As I read that I assumed it meant "in the Bethel" - as in the local prison - but I guess thats an English word and you are talkign Scotland.

Elaine

Elaine Report 3 Sep 2008 07:28

Alistair -

Thanks for the update on the spelling of the town. I am going to try and find a little more about what was going on there in 1799.

---------
Heather -

You never know, your assumption could well and truly be correct, but I think Christina and Betty got it right when I take other information into consideration.

Thanks again - you've all been a great help.

Elaine