Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Avg 8 Free problems

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Libby

Libby Report 3 Sep 2008 12:37

Daughter installed AVG 8 on her lap top about a month ago. All OK until yesterday when it said Anti Virus and Aniti Spware were out of date and she wasn't protected. Tried to run update overnight and this morning it was still updating.

This morning I uninstalled it then installed it again. Got to step 6 out of 8 (First Run Wizard) and have hit the same problem - been trying to update for nearly 2 hours now.

Can someone explain, in words of one sylable,what I should do next.

Libby

Alistair

Alistair Report 3 Sep 2008 12:49

Switch to Avast!

Less complications.

Alistair

Libby

Libby Report 3 Sep 2008 12:53

Thanks Alistair

Will mention this to daughter when she comes home from school. Daren't do anything myself - may get told off!!

Who's the grown-up here? lol

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 3 Sep 2008 13:04

There was similar problem reported a few weeks ago. It seemed to relate to an issue with the AVG site where the upgrades are downloaded from. It sorted itself out within a couple of days.

Libby

Libby Report 3 Sep 2008 13:10

Thanks Peter

Is her laptop still protected though?

I installed it on the desttop end of April and this appears to be OK.

KeithInFujairah

KeithInFujairah Report 3 Sep 2008 13:26

If it has updated a little while ago, you should be ok, mine updates daily. BUT as Peter mentioned, it does sometimes have problems updating, last time it would not update for a day, then did it automatically when AVG had sorted the problem out.

Libby

Libby Report 3 Sep 2008 14:08

Thanks Col

Tried that. No difference.

Think I had better leave things alone - don't want to get into trouble. lol

Thanks for all your suggestions.

Libby

Libby Report 3 Sep 2008 15:01

Did have it set on automatic scan, set for Midnight because she is never on after 10pm. Trouble is she always turns laptop off when she comes off at night to save her battery. Silly girl because she always leaves the charger plugged in!!

Last full scan was on 29th August and that was OK.

Other half can sort it out with her later this evening. It is still updating.