Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

ireland 1897

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Angela

Angela Report 3 Sep 2008 14:03

hi , not sure if this is the right board but , here goes - i have a child's birth , joseph kelly born 29/5/1897 court, donegal . birth cert states mother mary ann mcfadden no father given . why would she give the child a different surname yet not put his father's name on cert ?mother never married at all . any clue / speculation , anyone ? thanks , angela

Potty

Potty Report 3 Sep 2008 14:15

I don't know if Irish birth certs are in a different format to English/Welsh, but on an English cert there is no place for a surname. The child's surname is assumed to be the same as the father's. If no father is listed then the child takes the mother's surname. On an English cert, an entry like this would have the names "Joseph Kelly" under the childs name, ie they would be his christian names. Maybe the father was a Kelly and the mother gave the child his name as a second christian name.

Angela

Angela Report 3 Sep 2008 14:20

thanks potty , that was one of my thoughts but wanted to get other opinions/ ideas . ireland can be so " different "! angela