Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Newspapers

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Pamela

Pamela Report 3 Sep 2008 22:43

Can anyone tell me if and where I can find newspaper reports online, for June 1902. My gt. grandfather, John Angus, was killed in a tragic accident at Bishopsgate Street Station - I have his Death Certificate, but I wonder if it would have appeared in a local paper. He lived in River Street, Bromley, E.London.

Glen In Tinsel Knickers

Glen In Tinsel Knickers Report 3 Sep 2008 23:03

Not much online.

Try contacting the reference library for the area, they can usually copy an article and post it on for a small charge.

Jayne

Jayne Report 4 Sep 2008 00:40

It is also worth contacting the local Coroner where he died, as they will allow you to see (but not copy) inquest papers, if there was one.

His death cert should say if there was an inquest.

Pamela

Pamela Report 4 Sep 2008 09:43

Thank you for both replies. I have a Death Certificate and there was an Inquest, by the County of London Coroner, so maybe I can find out something from there.

Karen

Karen Report 4 Sep 2008 09:53

Libraries are usually very helpful with looking for articles in newspapers.
I recently had to contact a library regarding the unfortunate death of one of my relatives.
Not only did they supply me with the original article mentioning the accident, but also searched further forward for all related articles - for a small fee for the copying and her time, I received 4 articles a matter of days later.
As long as you have a specific date as a starting point for them, they are a wonderful, and very under used resource.

Pamela

Pamela Report 4 Sep 2008 10:00

Karen,
Thank you - I hadn't thought too much about a local library, we only have a very small branch in our village, but there is a very large one not far away in Colchester.
So my next visit to Colchester will be the chance to go in there and see what I can find out
Pam

Pamela

Pamela Report 4 Sep 2008 13:29

fudge
Thanks, I went on there yesterday, but didn't have a lot of time, so couldn't find much. Do you have to type in a date or something as to me it seemed to be year only.
Pam