Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Ancestry Site

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Patricia

Patricia Report 5 Sep 2008 15:01

What does anyone think of the Ancestry site at the moment, the set up seems a bit odd. Or are they just re-vamping it.

If you click on a child of the person you are looking at, the next page just says "page not available". Is everyone getting this message or is it just me. Also the dates of birth under the children`s name have disappeared.

Pat.

KeithInFujairah

KeithInFujairah Report 5 Sep 2008 15:07

Pat, which part of Ancestry are you looking at?

Heather

Heather Report 5 Sep 2008 15:11

I think you are looking at the new format Pat, if you look at the top of the page somewhere you will see it says something like revert to old format - click on that and you will have the familiar set out again.

Patricia

Patricia Report 5 Sep 2008 15:14

Keith.

I am looking at the family members I have entered on Ancestry. If I click on the wife`s name, instead of taking me to her details, I get "the page cannot be found" message.

All the dates of birth that used to be under the children`s names are no longer there.

If they are making changes they don`t seem to be for the better.

Pat.

Potty

Potty Report 5 Sep 2008 15:15

Is it your family tree that you are having problems with? This was mentioned a few days ago. Mine is working OK, but the children's ages have gone.

Patricia

Patricia Report 5 Sep 2008 15:20

Yes it happens with all the trees I have on there. Cannot see anything to click on the revert back to the old format.

Pat.

Patricia

Patricia Report 5 Sep 2008 15:27

I have just been reading the previous posts about this problem, and it seems that it is not compatible with AOL.

George_of_Westbury

George_of_Westbury Report 5 Sep 2008 15:50

Mine has changed over the past two days,it is not the format where you could use the "try it button" that button is no longer there to go back, so i think that Ancestry have revamped the format, all the details shown on the family page are much smaller and some details are missing although there is more info on the page.

feralcat

feralcat Report 5 Sep 2008 16:25

Something I've noticed in Ancestry, unless the COUNTRY is inserted after the place of birth when another member views a 'public tree', Ancestry will assume it's in the US!

For instance just putting 'Portsmouth' will show as: -
Portsmouth, Rockingham, New Hampshire, USA

A recipe for disaster for the unwary!

silvery33

silvery33 Report 5 Sep 2008 22:29

thank you f.c. you have solved a mystery I have come across.

I found on a couple of relatives trees that our mutual ancester was b. in Suffolk, New Hampshire rather than Suffolk UK (and had moved no more than 30 miles in his life). They obviously hadn't added UK - will pass that on. Yvonne