Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Help please - Trying to find a Scottish marriage c

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Alison

Alison Report 6 Sep 2008 21:24

Would appreciate help on trying to order a marriage certificate (if possible) for George Robertson & Christina McGregor. They have a son born 1848 so I'm guessing they were married around 1845. Found a website Scotlands People but I need to register. Does anybody use it?

♥Betty Boo from Dundee♥

♥Betty Boo from Dundee♥ Report 6 Sep 2008 21:31

We all use that website but I can't find their marriage on it.

Betty

♥Betty Boo from Dundee♥

♥Betty Boo from Dundee♥ Report 6 Sep 2008 21:37

I can't find a marriage I searched 1840 to 1850.

Alison

Alison Report 6 Sep 2008 21:46

LDS shows a marriage for George Robertson & Christian McGrigor. 26th May 1839. Forteviot, Perth. Would you mind Betty Boo checking this with your website?

Glen In Tinsel Knickers

Glen In Tinsel Knickers Report 6 Sep 2008 22:35

You won't get a cert from that date, civil registration in Scotland started on 01./01/1855.

A birth cert for a child born after the above date should show the details of the parents marriage, and if issued in 1866 it should also show;

Mother: age and place of birth

Father: age and place of birth

Siblings: the number and gender of parents' other children are recorded, whether living or deceased

mgnv

mgnv Report 7 Sep 2008 04:13

In Glen's post, for 1866 read 1855. Birth regos after 1861 also give parents marriage details.

Kathy near the

Kathy near the Report 7 Sep 2008 10:16

Alison

I help out at the local family history society every friday and we have all the old parish registers for the whole of scotland .

I can have a look at that marriage for you but could you pm me nearer then as my memory is lousy !

Kathy

Glen In Tinsel Knickers

Glen In Tinsel Knickers Report 7 Sep 2008 12:55

Sorry for the typo, meant to say that a birth cert for 1855 is the holy grail of Scottish certs, they should have the most info of all.

Potty

Potty Report 7 Sep 2008 14:10

The 1839 marriage is on scotlandspeople OPR (Old Parish Records). You will need to register and buy credits to view the entry.