Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

GR tree

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

David

David Report 8 Sep 2008 07:47

Is there a feature in the GR family tree I have over looked
where a relationship is named ?

IE Father, son, grandson, uncle, nephew, aunt etc

Or is it for the tree builder to establish for himself and put it in the notes if he wishes?

The reason I ask id that the relationship os the more distant relative becomes harder to determine.

Carol

Carol Report 8 Sep 2008 08:05

As far as I know no program will name people with a label like what you ask unless you add it as a separate item, FTM and a couple of other programs has the abilty to add such a label on a tree when you design it but not the family pages.

Carol
www.genealogyprinters.com

Maureen R

Maureen R Report 8 Sep 2008 08:17

I don't know any way of getting the label automatically on the record but Rootsmagic will work it out for you and I often use that and then put it in as a note.

Maureen R

Ron

Ron Report 8 Sep 2008 09:14

Not just RootsMagic but most other decent family history software has a built in Relationship Calculator where you can enter the names of 2 people and it will work out and tell you the relationship between those 2 people.

Ron
www.genealogyprinters.com

chrisa

chrisa Report 8 Sep 2008 12:56

My Heritage Family tree maker tells you how each person is related to you in the book reports that you can print off. Unfortunately it also assumes that evryone that has children are married.

David

David Report 8 Sep 2008 21:09

Thank you Chrisa, Ron, Maureen, and Carol.

I find it a wee bit difficult after fhe fierst two or three generations, but I will get used to it.